W. laxers receive accolades

After a season that went from the highs of a 10-game winning streak, culminating with an overtime win over Princeton to claim the Ivy League title, to the lows of losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Duke, the Big Green women's lacrosse team deserve some recognition. Four of their top players got just that as they were named to the Div. 1 North Regional All-America team.

Midfielder Jacque Weitzel '00, attacker Kate Graw '00, defenseman Melissa Frazier '00 and goalie Sarah Hughes '02 can now mark off All-American next to All-Ivy among their other personal and team accomplishments.

Weitzel, first on Dartmouth's all-time goal and points list, was named to the team for the third straight year. Her offensive flair helped the Big Green dominate games this year, and she led the nation in scoring. Weitzel was also named Ivy League player of the year.

"It's definitely an honor to be recognized," Weitzel said. "I think it's great that this team has produced four All-Americans this year."

Despite missing two games to appendicitis, co-captain Graw finished second in scoring for the Big Green, with 37 goals and 23 assists, only behind Weitzel. She was named second team All-American for the past two years, and is a three-time All-Ivy selection.

The other co-captain, Frazier, also had her injury troubles. She was sidelined with a knee injury during the Boston University game on April 11 and came back only for a few minutes against Duke in the tournament. Frazier was a defensive stalwart this year, and like Weitzel was named All-American and All-Ivy in both her sophomore and freshman years.

Hughes was a brick wall in the Dartmouth cage, and is among the nation's leaders in both goals against average and save percentage. She was named second team All-Ivy her freshman year, and looks to be a bright spot in the team's future.

Hughes, however, hands off much of the credit to others.

"Any credit given should go to my teammates and coaches," Hughes said. "I feel that my personal growth relies heavily on their willingness to give me positive and negative feedback and to challenge me as an athlete."

"The seniors have helped my growth immensely during this past year by sharing their wisdom with me. I am looking forward to utilizing the many leadership skills that I have learned from them this year, so that I can do my best to contribute to the further success of Dartmouth women's lacrosse."

With Weitzel, Graw, and Frazier graduating, the Big Green will look for her to do just that.