W. lax puts three on All-America

Three Big Green women's lacrosse players found their names on the All-America team yesterday as midfielder Jacque Weitzel '00 and attacker Kate Graw '00 were listed on the Brine/IWLCA Division 1 All-America first team, while goalkeeper Sarah Hughes '02 was a third team selection.

"I'm happy because it is a step in the right direction," Hughes said. "As long as I keep moving forward and continue to develop my ability as a goalkeeper and team player under great coaching, I will be satisfied."

Weitzel, the Ivy League Player of the Year, led the nation in goals per game and she easily made it back to first team selection for the third consecutive year. The Annapolis native led Dartmouth with 67 goals and 79 points, both new school records.

Graw finally ascended to first team this year after being on second team All-America for the past two years. Graw was second in scoring behind Weitzel for the Big Green with 60 points this season.

Hughes, a first team All-Ivy selection, was the backbone of the Big Green defense as she recorded an 8.47 goals-against-average and a .616 save percentage.

"I feel that statistics don't always reflect what a goalkeeper contributes on the field and those 'intangibles' are what I am looking forward to most improving in the coming year. There is much to look forward to," Hughes said.