Hot list '92

A lot's going on in the world today. While Germany consolidates power in the chocolate industry, controversy is swirling around the IMF and the WTO. The two organizations, which spend their time turning water into wine as if they were God's foremen, are fighting the influence of the "dirty, dirty hippies," according to Dan Rather. The presidential race is also gathering steam, but nothing's hotter than the fashion industry. Let's take a behind the scenes look at what's in and what's not in music, movies and fashion for the year 1992.

The hot new film of the year is "Clean Slate," starring Carroll O'Connor and Delta Burke as a pair of retired schoolteachers. The movie's hilarity is matched only by its all-star cast. But the big story of the year in Hollywood is television. Television? That's right, television shows are being adapted to the big screen at an exciting rate.

The newest comers? "Fraggle Rock," "These Friends of Mine," and "Viper." Ellen Degeneres may just be the comic talent everyone says she is, if the early screen tests are any indication. No one's sure exactly what the future will bring, but here's a safe bet: box-office magic! If even one of these flicks matches the knee-slapping fun of the "Hogan's Heroes" movie, audiences are in for a treat.

"Operation Dumbo Drop," the erstwhile sequel to "Air America," is also set to be a surefire winner come "D-Day" (distribution day, that is)! It's not all fun and games in Tinseltown, though. Actor Daniel Day-Lewis is decidedly on the rocks, having lapsed into alcoholism and B-movies, and Harvey Firestein is also out. Their films this year, "All of Me" and "The Man with Two Brains," respectively, were flops, and the future doesn't look bright for these once shining stars. The industry has high hopes for Estelle Getty's new talking car movie, but times are tough for much of Hollywood's A-List. One tends to long for the staying power of Nell Carter or a Walter Cronkite in trying times such as these. Also out is communism.

If it's music you're into, this year should be a treat. Doctor Demento is hardly resting on his laurels after his much lauded 20th Anniversary collection. No, he's continuing to put out the finest by Julie Brown and Boris Pickett. Speaking of Boris Pickett, his daughter is the fat chick in super-group Wilson Pickett, which also features the daughter of Vikings quarterback Wade Wilson. Now there's a girl group that's not afraid to use its nails. You go girls! Their single, "The Lemon Song," is projected to go triple-platinum within the month.

While The Divinyls may be out this year, the Stone Temple Pilots are number-one with a bullet. Parents, lock up your daughters, because Scott Weiland is hot, hot, hot. The word on the street is that Rockapella, the hot new a-cappella band, is going to be hitting the airwaves soon, and making a splash. One of them has braids and wears a hat, a look that is fresh and daring in today's "grunge" world. Oh, and on that front: being poor is out.

There are only two words to describe the fashion scene this year: "hot" and "hotter." While eyebrows are out (again), business suits are in for women. Knee-high boots with stiletto heels are also in, and I'm seeing them paired with short red mini-skirts and bustiers. That's right, for the third consecutive year, prostitute fashion is in, in, in my VCR.

For men, purple velour jogging suits are all the rage, as well as necklaces, necklaces, necklaces. The old adage is true: you can never get enough gold! Of course, genital piercings are back out this year after a brief resurgence on the catwalks last year. Sensible shoes are also no longer in.

Well that's it from the STAR front. Here's wishing you a hot week, a cool month, and an "in" 1992.