Crew races at Eastern Sprints

The Dartmouth freshman lightweight eight captured a silver medal yesterday, giving them the best finish for the Big Green at the Eastern Sprints Regatta, held in Worcester, Mass.

Dartmouth, seeded third in the race, finished only a second to first-place Princeton and overtook Yale for the second sport. The Big Green avenged a one-length loss to Yale earlier in the season.

"The best highlight of the day came in the first freshman eight race. Dartmouth finished second in their heat a close 1.5 seconds behind the eventual winner Princeton," lightweight co-captain Puck Wheaton '01 said. "Dartmouth passed the Yale eight in the final strokes of the race beating them by a .06 second margin for the Bronze. Dartmouth finished a close 1.5 seconds behind the winner Princeton."

Dartmouth's heavyweight varsity eight also made the grand final, rowing through Penn in the morning heats to advance. Dartmouth was stuck in last place for most of the grand final but managed to out-sprint Northeastern to take fifth.

Seeded third, the third varsity lights finished third overall, and the second varsity light eight finished sixth. Dartmouth's varsity lightweight eight won the petite final over Georgetown and finished seventh overall.

Junior varsity heavyweight eight was twelfth, and the freshman heavyweight eight took 14th.

"All crews were excited to finish their season on a high note," Wheaton said. "The season continues at the varsity level. Dartmouth heads to the national Championships in Camden, NJ in two weeks and looks to get revenge against their Ivy opponents."