Tuck climbs to 11th in US News rankings

Dartmouth's Tuck School of Business climbed one notch to number 11 in the 2001 US News & World Report's ranking of the best graduate schools.

Although the current ranking places Tuck higher than last year's 12th place finish, Dean of the Tuck School Paul Danos said that he was still not satisfied. He added that the school plans to revamp its program for next year to include offerings in e-commerce, technology and enterprenuership.

In 1998, the rankings placed the school in the eighth spot.

"We should constantly be in the top five," Danos said. He added that he thought the rankings by Forbes Magazine " which ranked Tuck second " were more objective than the US News rankings.

"The US News & World Report rankings involves several surveys," he said. "And some of the people that they survey really don't know Tuck."

According to the current issue of the magazine, various aspects of business schools, such as reputation, placement success and student selectivity were taken into consideration.

A school's reputation is measured through surveys sent to deans of graduate programs and practitioners in each field.

According to the rankings, the average starting salary and bonus of a Tuck graduate in 1999 were over $100,000, with over 97 percent of graduates employed within three months of graduation.

"Tuck students get more value than any other school," Danos said. "We have made significant investments in residential plants, infrastructure and technology."

He noted the school's history of placement success, especially in the field of technology.

Asked about how much attention business school administrators pay to rankings such as the ones issued by US News & World Report, Danos told The Dartmouth that "most business schools that want to be viewed by the world pay attention to them."

In addition to the Forbes rankings, Business Week ranks business schools biannually. In the magazine's last rankings in 1998, Tuck was ranked number 10.

The University of California " Los Angeles' Anderson school and the University of Virginia's Darden school tied with Tuck for the eleventh spot. The top three schools were Stanford University, the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton school and the MIT Sloan school, respectively.