Big Red, Tigers deadlocked at top

Princeton 10, Brown 7

Fourth-ranked Princeton extended its Ivy League consecutive win streak to 28 Saturday afternoons with a 10-7 victory over 15-ranked Brown.

The game started out close, with the two teams battling to a 4-4 stalemate at halftime. The Tigers broke open the game in the second half, with a pair of goals by B.J. Prager, followed by another goal by Josh Sims to increase the lead to 7-4.

Princeton increased its lead to 9-5 midway through the fourth period before the Bears staged a brief rally, scoring two quick goals to narrow the deficit to two with six minutes to play.

Michael Mafett scored two goals and Beret Dickson saved 10 in the losing effort. The win improves Princeton to 6-1 (3-0 Ivy), while Brown falls to 4-4 (1-1 Ivy).

Cornell 12, Harvard 7

Sean Steinwald scored three goals to lead ninth-ranked Cornell to a 12-7 victory over 13-ranked Harvard. The Big Red remain tied with Princeton for the Ivy League lead.

Cornell assumed control early, taking a 4-2 lead by the end of the first quarter as a result of out-shooting the Crimson 20-6 in the period. Harvard settled down in the second quarter, bringing the game to a 5-5 tie by halftime.

Cornell took over again in the third quarter, rattling off four unanswered goals in less than five minutes and holding Harvard scoreless.

Cornell goalkeeper Justin Cynar saved 14 and helped prevent Harvard from scoring on any of its six extra-man opportunities. Meanwhile, Crimson goalie Keith Cynar, Justin's older brother, saved 25.

Sprong scored three goals for Harvard, which falls to 5-2 (1-1 Ivy). Cornell, hits the road this week to take on top-ranked Syracuse. They improve to 6-1 (3-0 Ivy).

Yale 19, Rutgers 16

Thanks to six goals and five assists by Ryan Floyd, Yale prevailed over Rutgers in a 19-16 shootout Saturday afternoon. Floyd's outstanding performance set a Bulldog freshman record for goals and assists and tied the single-game record for goals by a freshman.

Yale took the initiative early and by the start of the second quarter, held a 6-3 advantage. The Scarlet Knights turned the game around, though, by scoring four unanswered goals to take the lead.

The Bulldogs responded with a streak of their own, netting three straight goals to take a 9-7 lead going into halftime. After Yale scored another goal in the third period, Rutgers nailed three consecutive goals to tie the game at 10 with 6:28 remaining in the third quarter.

Yale then blew open the game by staging an 8-2 run to take a commanding lead. Rutgers wouldn't go away, however. The Scarlet Knights mounted a furious four-goal scoring spree, including three in less than two minutes, but they couldn't close the gap, and ultimately lost.

Keith Cromwell tallied five goals and three assists for 1-6 Rutgers. Yale is now 4-4 (1-3 Ivy).