A New Hurdle

The keg jump is a Dartmouth tradition. The College knows what has been transpiring on the lawn of Psi Upsilon Fraternity for the past 19 years. Such is the nature of tradition -- the community is fully aware of what occurs.

The event was registered with the College and advertised in the Winter Carnival Program. This implies that the College approved of both the skating and the keg-hurdling. Granted, this is not all that transpires at the keg jump, and some will argue that other elements play too considerable a role in the festivities. Regardless, the keg jump was not a party that went out of control, and more importantly, it was no different than it has been for nearly two decades.

The brothers of Psi U have been punished for endangering themselves by participating in their own keg jump. If this is the standard the College wishes to uphold, then it needs to consider bringing many athletic programs to an end. An ambulance often stands by at many sporting events, and it is just as easy to break one's collar bone playing ice hockey or football as it is while participating in the keg jump.

The Judiciary Committee's recommendation to place Psi U on probation comes in the context of the Student Life Initiative. Since its introduction into the Dartmouth community, the Initiative has become a force to be considered in regards to all things Greek. Although Psi U does not seem to be going anywhere in the near future, the future of the keg jump -- a Winter Carnival tradition -- is no longer so secure.

Traditional events are vital to the community of Dartmouth students and alumni. If the College were to force the cancellation of the keg jump, it would be no different than if the Homecoming bonfire were forbidden.

It is important to continue to make the keg jump as safe as possible. But all things considered, racing around a tower of fire is no safer than flinging oneself over fourteen kegs while on ice skates. Perilous as some traditions may be, both these events are among the many things that define the spirit of the Dartmouth community.