Fiedler '94 signs with Dolphins

Quarterback Jay Fiedler '94 signed yesterday with the Miami Dolphins as a free agent, leaving the Jacksonville Jaguars, for whom he started one game in 1999.

Fielder becomes the fourth quarterback now on the Dolphins roster now is not Dan Marino. He joins last year's backup, Damon Huard, as well as former 49ers first round draft pick Jim Druckenmiller and former Patriot Scott Zolak in competition to succeed one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Fiedler enjoyed by far his best season as a pro last year backing up Mark Brunell in Jacksonville. While filling in for Brunell when injured and doing mop-up duty in the Jags' many lopsided victories, Fiedler completed 61 of 94 passes (64.9 percent) with two touchdowns.

Fiedler's quarterback rating stood at a cool 83.5 for the year.

On Oct. 17 Fiedler played the hero for Jacksonville against the Cleveland Browns.

Brunell left the game with brusied ribs and his team trailing 7-6 in the middle of the third quarter. Fiedler stepped in and completed 12 of 14 passes for 113 yards -- he also ran for 27 yards -- and led the Jags to a 24-7 win.

While at the College, Fielder exhibited some heroics as well. He owns virtually every school passing record, having thrown for 6,684 yards and 58 touchdowns with 456 completions.

Fiedler had previously played in the NFL for the Minnesota Vikings in 1998 and the Philadelphia Eagles in 1994 and '95.