Wall St. hopefuls invest with BGI

Big Green Investors, which was founded last November by Jonathan Arbeit '02 and Hank Leukart '01, helps Dartmouth students who are unable to resist the allure of Wall Street immerse themselves in the world of finance while they are still in Hanover.

The organization currently has a stock portfolio worth $10,000, including shares in Apple Computers and Oracle. It posts a 25 percent yield -- a higher rate of return than most major national indices achieve.

Originally consisting of only 20 members, BGI has more than doubled its membership, and now consists of 50 students.

It operates much like a mutual fund, requiring a small investment from each member that is pooled and divided among a variety of stocks.

According to acting President of BGI Jon Arbeit, the organization was founded for students who wanted to learn about stocks and investing.

Many economics majors are attracted to BGI because they want to gain experience in investigating the stock market. However, Arbeit said members also represent other majors as diverse as History and French.

"It helps to have some investing background when looking for finance jobs," he said.

Membership in BGI involves a certain level of commitment, according to Arbeit. Due to the legal ramifications of operating an investment club, the officers must approve each member. However, no one has ever been turned away by the BGI.

Once a student becomes an approved member, he or she may research and submit stocks for consideration by the whole club. The group votes on individual suggestions to decide whether or not to buy it. If the stock turns out so be especially successful, the member who researched it often receives a bonus as an incentive for successful research. Otherwise, the profits of stock sales are divided evenly among members.

Although Big Green Investors is the most visible investment club on campus, it is one of several. Tuck Business School also supports several such clubs. The clubs are very popular nationally as well, especially with the recent economic strength in the United States.