Students focus on personality differences

Dartmouth students found personality differences striking between Vice President Al Gore and former New Jersey Senator Bill Bradley in the Town Meeting held last night in Moore Theater.

Bradley appeared a more serious, genuine candidate, while Gore, more humorous, interacted with the crowd effectively, according to students interviewed by The Dartmouth shortly after the meeting.

"Bradley had more eloquent and powerful responses," Quyen Tran '02 said after attending the forum in Moore. "Gore was better at working the crowd a little more."

Three rooms in the Rockefeller Center, along with 105 Dartmouth Hall and Collis Lounge were packed, with more than 350 students listening to the candidates' views and evaluating their positions from public viewing areas.

Some students said they felt Bradley came out stronger because he directly responded to questions and avoided direct confrontation with Gore on health insurance and campaign finance.

Observers said they were impressed by the way Bradley explained his two year absence from politics and thought that his reasons for vying for presidential election was poignant.

"I think it is the time for him [to win] ... He provides an opportunity to move beyond the Clinton-Gore administration," Rebecca Davis '03 said.

Some Dartmouth students preferred Gore's more assertive style. Watching the town meeting in Moore Theater, some students were impressed by Gore's decision to shake hands with everyone and his invitation of questions even before the meeting officially began.

"Gore did a great job. I have more respect for him and his platform," Steven Terry '02 said.

Although the town meeting did not turn into a true debate between both candidates, students said noticed the banter between Gore and Bradley on certain issues like health care.

"They were going back and forth to undercut each other," Anne Sosin '02 said.

Having watched the meeting, some were disappointed with the very similar issue positions of the two Democratic candidates.

"I would've liked to see more exchanges," Andrew Martin '00 said.

Dartmouth students were generally satisfied with the level of discussion and the range of questions asked. Although questions focused primarily on domestic issues, most felt this was fitting for a New Hampshire town meeting.

"There was a good mix of questions to cover a large number of topics," Tran said.