S&S prepares for unexpected

Safety and Security is planning an increased presence at the Bonfire tonight after an assault last year on several security officers.

Sergeant Rebel Roberts said the collective goal of the Safety and Security and Hanover Police officers present tonight will be helping students by responding to problems of intoxication and minor injuries.

She added that students' safety is a concern that comes along with the bonfire, and that Safety and Security officers will do what they can to discourage people from attempting to touch the fire. Above all, she said, "we're out there to help students," not reprimand them.

Hanover Chief of Police Nick Giaccone said the police department would also have a strong presence at Dartmouth Night, although it will not be stepped up from last year.

On a normal Friday night, three to four officers are patrolling on foot in Hanover, Giaccone said. For this Friday, that number will rise to 20, although he added that many of those will be there primarily for traffic control.

According to Giaccone, there will be anywhere from four to seven two-person teams on duty at any time tonight.

The officers' main purpose is "to keep peace and order," Giaccone said. "It's a crowd mentality out there," that can easily turn violent.

Giaccone said for the police, last year was not an abnormal year despite the assaults on Safety and Security officers.

"Last year was actually kind of mellow," he admitted.

As for this year, Giaccone said he expects a relatively low crowd turnout.

"We're afraid that this might be kind of a bust year," he said, citing the football team's poor record and a lesser-known Homecoming Game opponent -- Cornell -- as compared with the traditional match-up against Harvard or Yale.

He said that an ambulance will be stationed near the Green in case of bonfire-related injuries, and the fire department will have a presence as well.

Andrew Bologna '02 recalled his experience running around the bonfire last year. He called the crowd "pretty crazy" and "hard to control," and although he characterized the event as "all in fun," he said "there's certainly an element of danger."

He said he noticed a few police or Safety and Security officers in the crowd, but he didn't remember seeing them intervene.

Many members of the class of 2003 said they were aware of last year's events, but few claimed to be concerned for their safety, even in light of the presentation given by Safety and Security at this year's "Experience Dartmouth" night during Orientation.

Last year, one Safety and Security officer was assaulted by a student, who punched the officer in the rib cage and then hurled his portable radio into the crowd. Another officer was punched while breaking up a fight.

Other Safety and Security officers sustained minor injuries; a female officer was struck in the back and chin and another officer was knocked face first to the ground. No arrests were made in any of the incidents because the perpetrators scattered back into the crowd.

In addition, many students tried to approach the bonfire structure and touch it while it was ablaze.

Several students were trampled and sustained minor injuries during the event, but no hospitalizations resulted.