Newly-ranked field hockey is set for Yale

Expectations are high for tomorrow's Dartmouth field hockey game against Yale University.

Although Dartmouth's record (6-4, 1-2 Ivy League) is more impressive than Yale's (3-7, 0-3 Ivy League), the two teams have had similar Ivy League experiences this season. Both Dartmouth and Yale have previously lost matches to Brown and Princeton, two teams ranked nationally all season.

Although the match will clearly be a challenge, Dartmouth is definitely thinking positively.

"I am confident that we will do well and that is the key," said Lindsay Bowen '00. "If we are focused intense and confident, I am sure we will perform well."

One obstacle that the Dartmouth team must overcome is the pressure of maintaining its newly obtained national ranking.

As of this week, the Big Green are ranked 18th in the latest national poll.

There is currently an Ivy League logjam at the bottom of the rankings as Brown and Princeton who defeated both teams sit at numbers 16 and 17 respectively while Harvard is two below the Green at number 20.

One of the newest members of the Dartmouth squad will help lead the way. Carolyn Steele '03 scored the game-winning goal against 19th-ranked New Hampshire in overtime and had an assist against seventh-ranked Wake Forest.

For her efforts, she was named Ivy Rookie of the Week.

"We have to get psyched to beat Yale and play our game," Bowen said. "It is easy to get over confident when you are ranked but we have to remember that in order to keep our ranking we have to come home from New Haven with a win."

The fact that the two teams are Ivy League rivals will provide extra motivation for both sides.

"Any Ivy League match will have a big impact," Bowen said. "Any team can win on a given day. We are both starving for a win."