Field hockey wins pair in Keystone State to move to 3-1

The Dartmouth College field hockey team showed its mettle in its last two matchups on the road, defeating the University of Pennsylvania on Sunday and Lehigh University on Monday.

Sunday's game marked the first of the Big Green's Ivy League contests. Their 3-1 victory over the Quakers brought their record to 2-1 overall, and 1-0 in the Ancient Eight.

The first goal was scored midway through the first half by senior Lauren Scopaz '00, who leads the team in scoring so far this campaign.

Kim Jenkin '02 then converted her third penalty stroke of the season to bring the Green to a 2-0 lead.

At 5:45 into the second half, Penn came back with a goal off of a penalty corner by Maureen Flynn. However, the Green marked up an insurance goal by Kristen Leadbeater '00, sealing the Quakers' fate.

The Big Green's goalkeeper, junior Brittany D'Augustine, had four saves in the game. Penn goalie Alison Friedman got a workout, making 14 saves as Dartmouth outshot Penn, 17-5.

Monday's match against Lehigh allowed the Green to boost their record to 3-1 overall with a 4-0 shutout of the host team.

Scopaz showed her offensive skills once again, scoring the first two goals off assists from Kate Alexander '02 and Carolyn Steele '03 and assisting on the last two goals.

Jenkin and Lauren Welsh '03 put in the goals off of Scopaz's assists, sending the Green toward victory.

D'Augustine was called on for only one save in goal as Dartmouth outshot Lehigh by a whopping 17-4.

Saturday marks Dartmouth's first home game of the season at the friendly confines of Chase Field.

The Big Green will host the Princeton Tigers, who will defend their five-time Ivy League Championship.

A win against the Tigers would send Head Coach Julie Dayton and her troops into one of their best starts in recent memory as well as establishing a firm hold on first place in the Ancient Eight as the Tigers are once again the preseason favorites.

On Sunday, the Big Green will tangle with a non-conference foe, the Rams of the University of Rhode Island.

Both the Princeton and Rhode Island matches will begin at 1 p.m. on Chase Field.