Students respond to GOP race

Students at the College who are working on Republican presidential campaigns have mixed reactions to the recent developments that have thinned out their party's primary race.

New Hampshire senator and Independent presidential candidate Bob Smith, who left the Republican party in July, announced yesterday that he will not seek the nomination of the U.S. Taxpayers Party or join any other parties. He said he is also considering withdrawing from the race altogether.

Republican presidential candidate and former Tennessee Governor Lamar Alexander withdrew from the race Monday, after finishing sixth out of nine candidates in the Iowa Straw Poll.

"While it is a shame that candidates like Smith, who are not afraid to speak out on issues, leave, it is nice to see the Republican race thin out," said Paul Biggs '01, president of the Conservative Union at Dartmouth and one of the campus contacts for the Steve Forbes campaign.

Kelly Grieco '01, who is leading the Students for Dole group at the College, said it is "surprising" that some candidates have already completed their election bid, with the election more than a year away. However, she said, "Bush has been so successful that he has been draining a lot of the funds for the other candidates."

Bob Gienko '01, vice president of CUAD and the student contact for the George W. Bush campaign, said he would be disappointed if Smith left the race entirely.

"It is good for democracy if a full spectrum of candidates are running, and Smith certainly represents part of the spectrum," Gienko said.

"He represents a lot of the disgruntled conservatives in society who feel the Republican party no longer represents them," he said.

Gienko said he expects the field to narrow even more as next February's New Hampshire primary approaches.

According to Reuters, Smith said yesterday he is considering withdrawing from the race but is waiting for the result of medical tests on his wife before making a decision. "At this point, I can't tell you for sure what I will do, but I will be able to say probably in about a week," Smith said at a press conference in Manchester, NH.

Smith left the Republican party on July 13 stating that he perceived the party lacked principles. He announced last week that, at the invitation of the U.S. Taxpayers Party he would seek the party's presidential nomination at its annual convention.

Yesterday morning in Bedford N.H., Smith said he believed it was not fair of him to seek the Taxpayers nomination given that he was unwilling to join any political party at this point.

"My experience with the Republican Party, and my reading of George Washington, has swayed me against partisanship for the time being," he said in his official statement. "I swore allegiance to the Constitution, not to any political party."

"Perhaps at some point, I will be willing to play party politics again," he said. "However, at this time, I am comfortable being an Independent fighting for a return to Constitutional principles in this country."

Smith was elected as a Republican to the U.S. Senate from New Hampshire in 1990 and he is currently serving his second term. He previously served in the House of Representatives from 1984 to 1990.

Alexander ran unsuccessfully for the presidency in 1996. For the 2000 election, he had focused all of his energy on Iowa.

U.S. House Budget Committee Chairman John Kasich dropped out last month -- before even officially declaring his candidacy.

Kasich endorsed George W. Bush for the presidency. Alexander has yet to declare whom he supports.