Govt. Professor Wendt leaves College this fall

Government Professor Alexander Wendt, one of the leading thinkers in the "constructivist" branch of international relations, is passionate about his work.

"I don't really have many hobbies or outside interests," said Wendt, who is leaving the College this September to assume a post in the University of Chicago's political science department.

However, when asked about his theories or academic life here at the College, Wendt has much to say.

"Constructivism argues that international politics is socially constructed and can be changed, unlike the popular neo-realist theory, which argues that war and conflict is natural," Wendt said. "It's the nurture, not nature, argument."

Wendt's first book, "Social Theory of International Politics," which will be released next month, details this argument.

Wendt said he has always been interested in theory and philosophy.

"I've also always wanted to do research," he said.

Wendt taught at Yale University for eight years. Two years ago, after marrying Dartmouth government Professor Mlada Bukovansky, Wendt moved to Hanover and joined the College's faculty.

While at Dartmouth, Wendt has taught Government 5, Introduction to International Relations, Government 56, International Politics: Systems and Behavior, and a few seminars. He has been very popular among students.

"He is one of the most brilliant professors and people that I've met," said Michelle Chui '01, one of the students responsible for the student-initiated seminar on international theory that Wendt is teaching this summer. "He has a passion for teaching, that is what makes him a great professor."

"I really like his open manner with students," said Tim Waligore '01, also a member of Wendt's seminar this summer. "He has an expectation that students will argue with him and challenge him on his ideas."

Many government students said they will miss Wendt's presence when he leaves the College for Chicago.

"I am really sad to see him go," Waligore said. "He was the most engaging professor I've had here at Dartmouth. He got me really interested in the theory side of international relations."

Wendt said he has enjoyed his time here at Dartmouth. "Students at Dartmouth are happier than those I taught at Yale," Wendt said.

"I've also really enjoyed the quality of life here," he said, adding that he has learned to cross-country ski during his time in Hanover.

"I also believe that Dartmouth is a really great school for undergraduates," he said. "Undergrads here get a lot of attention from the faculty that goes to graduate students at other schools.

"At Yale, it was a lot more hierarchical, I would talk to my T.A.'s, and they would talk to the undergraduates," he said.

One of the reasons for Wendt's departure is the lack of graduate students in Dartmouth's government department.

"When I moved here from Yale, I wondered if I would miss graduate students," he said. "I have."

Graduate students are important to his work in international relations theory, he said.

Wendt will teach a mixture of graduate and undergraduate courses on international relations at Chicago.

Bukovansky will continue to teach at the College next year.

Wendt performed his undergraduate work at Macalester College in Saint Paul's, Minn. and received his Ph.D. in 1989 from the University of Minnesota.

Wendt's father is a retired member of Macalesters psychology department, and for the younger Wendt, it seemed logical to follow in his father's footsteps.