Women's laxers destroy Loyola to move to quarters

There would be no dramatic finish. There would be no overtime. There was only an 11-goal run in the middle of yesterday's women's lacrosse game which allowed the Big Green to streak past the Greyhounds of Loyola and into the quarterfinals of the National Collegiate Women's Lacrosse tournament for the second consecutive year.

The 10th-ranked Dartmouth (11-4) used an 11-goal run in the middle of the game to upset the seventh-ranked Loyola(12-5), 20-7, yesterday at Curley Field in Baltimore, M.D.

In that run, Kate Graw '00 scored four of her career-high six goals. The junior All-American also added two assists in the contest. Graw had 42 points (29 goals, 13 assists) during the Big Green's regular season.

After Loyola scored the first goal of the game in less than two minutes, Dartmouth answered with five straight goals to put themselves ahead, 5-1, at the 7:01 mark in the first half.

Dartmouth's lead was down to 7-3 with 34 seconds left in the first frame, but Emily Fenwick '00 and Jacque Weitzel '00 scored back-to-back goals in a 17-second-span to start the 11-goal run.

Dartmouth led Loyola 9-3 at halftime, and led by as many as 15 goals, including an 18-3 lead with 18:21 left in the game.

The loss was Loyola's first game in which they allowed 20 or more goals this decade.

For Dartmouth, it was the third 20-plus goal performance of the season. Dartmouth had beaten Vermont, 21-1, and the University of Pennsylvania, 22-2.

Seven different Dartmouth players had more than one goal. All-American Weitzel and Alison Moulin '02 notched three goals each for Dartmouth. Weitzel led the Big Green with an astounding 64 points (43 goals, 21 assists) in just 14 games in the regular season.

Liz Merritt '01, Kerry Lenehan '01, Suzy Gibbons '01 and Fenwick each added two tallies.

The Big Green dominated the offense as they outshot the Greyhounds, 40-16. Dartmouth also overwhelmed Loyola on ground balls, 32-19, and face-offs, 20-9. Both teams turned over 14 balls.

In the net, Sarah Hughes '02 made seven saves in 55 minutes for the Big Green before being replaced by Eleanor Leahy '01. Hughes, who posted a 6.50 GAA and .613 save percentage during the regular season, picked up her ninth win of the season.

Virginia

Dartmouth will cruise South to challenge the second-ranked University of Virginia (13-5) in the quarter finals of the NCAA tournament on Saturday. The game starts at 2 p.m.

Loyola, then ranked 10th, defeated the Cavaliers on April 28 with a score of 10-9.

Last year, the Big Green fell 10-7 to the Cavaliers in the NCAA semifinals.

Junior Jamie Hass who has 47 points (33 goals, 14 assists) leads the Cavaliers. Hass is followed by a pair of seniors, Jessica Hull (35 points) and Mia Mooney (29 points).

In the net, junior goalkeeper Francis Segarra has started in every game this season, while posting 7.04 GAA and .521 save percentage.

Virginia is making their 12th tournament appearance and fourth in a row. The Cavaliers hold an all-time record of 11-9 in NCAA tournament games, which ranks third in wins, fourth in total games, and fifth in winning percentage.

Virginia's coach Julie Myers ranks third among active coaches in winning percentage in the NCAA tournament and she ranks 10th all-time in winning percentage for coaches.