Trustees finalize Initiative Steering Committee: Miller '02, Roderick '99 named final two undergraduates to be part of 16-member group

The final members of the Trustees' influential Steering Committee were announced yesterday, signaling the beginning of the powerful committee's work of weeding through proposals on the controversial Five Principles and presenting a recommended implementation plan to the full Board of Trustees.

In addition to Meg Smoot '01 who was chosen through last week's student election and Matthew K. Nelson '00, who was selected by the Student Assembly's selection committee, students Kyle Roderick '99 and Hillary Miller '02 were selected by the committee itself and their membership was announced yesterday.

The 16-member committee includes the four undergraduates, one graduate student, three faculty members, three administrators and three alumni. Trustees Susan Dentzer '77 and Peter Fahey '68 are chairing the committee.

The three administrators who will serve on the Steering Committee are Dean of the College-designate James Larimore, Vice President and Treasurer Win Johnson and Director of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Ozzie Harris. Two of the three, Johnson and Harris, are College alumni and all three were recently appointed to their administrative posts.

Alumni Allen Collins '53, Thomas Csatari '74 and Susan Finegan '85, chemistry graduate student Jesse Fecker, French Professor Mary Jean Green, Anthropology Professor Deborah Nichols and Engineering Professor Ulf Osterberg complete the committee's membership.

All members, except Smoot and Nelson, were selected by Dentzer and Fahey in consultation with members of the administration and Alumni Council.

All members of the committee except Dentzer and Fahey have been asked by the Trustees not to speak with the press about their work on the committee or even about their selection to the committee.

Dentzer told The Dartmouth the gag request was made to ease the burden placed on the committee members and ensure unhindered communication within the committee.

The call for silence abruptly ended an interview The Dartmouth was conducting with Miller - who was willing to talk about her selection and opinions on the Initiative - when Miller received a BlitzMail message from Dentzer and Fahey issuing the gag request.

Dentzer said she was pleased with the committee's composition. She said several factors, including background, Greek affiliation and opinions on the Five Principles, influenced the decision, "but only along with a number of other things."

Roderick and Miller are unaffiliated. Smoot and Nelson, chosen last week, are both affiliated.

She said the Assembly's recommendation of Roderick also was considered, although limitedly, in their decision. "It weighed. I can't say it weighed heavily," Dentzer said.

The committee will have their first meeting May 21 and will meet throughout the summer and fall.

Dentzer said the committee will hold at least one town meeting for the Dartmouth community and will be seeking input from various groups.

The committee plans to submit their recommendations for social and residential change to the Board at their November meeting.