The College Mission

College students throughout the country indicate increasing disaffection and separation from social concerns. Every year, the Higher Education Research Institute at UCLA surveys nearly 350,000 first year students at more than 650 colleges and universities. Their most recent findings reveal a lower level of political and social interest than at any time in the past 32 years. Just 26.7 percent of freshmen surveyed believe that "keeping up to date with political affairs" is an important life goal, compared with a high of 57.8 percent in 1966. Freshmen expressed similar disinterest in specific social issues. For example, only 19.4 percent of students said that "becoming involved in programs to clean up the environment" is an important life goal, down from a high of 33.6 percent in 1992. Only 31.8 percent believe that "helping to promote racial understanding" is an important goal, down from 42 percent in 1992. Likewise, the number of students expressing interest in community action programs and influencing social values has declined over the past decade.

While these trends may be true for the nation, a survey of Dartmouth students last November by the Tucker Foundation reflects a more engaged group of students. Dartmouth students volunteer in large and increasing numbers in the Upper Valley, with nearly 35 percent volunteering through the Tucker Foundation, and an additional 35 percent performing some kind of community service work with fraternities and sororities, athletic teams, or other student groups. In response to a similar survey in 1996, 10 percent of students indicated a lack of interest as a reason for not participating in community and social service programs. This year, that number dropped to 6 percent. When asked about a variety of social issues, more than 70 percent of Dartmouth students responded that each of the following are either important or very important to them: civil rights, health care, moral issues, children's rights, homelessness, hunger and poverty, justice and human rights, and education issues.

Nevertheless, the national trend and what it portends for the country is profoundly disturbing. There are many factors at work. National cynicism with the political process is high. Many social problems seem intractable or far from home. Current cultural values emphasize personal wealth rather than social health.

What does this have to do with us? Is it our responsibility at the College to influence this trend? Should we even care? Does the work of the College extend beyond the growth of the mind? John Dickey, our 12th President, advocated in 1955 for an "educational enterprise committed to the dual pursuit of competence and conscience." He noted that "To create the power of competence without creating a corresponding sense of moral direction to guide the use of that power is bad education." There may be those who protest, "Whose morals? Whose conscience?" My answer is "Yours." I do not so much care where your conscience takes you as long as you have taken a good hard look at the implications of your choices. It is our responsibility, and our mission, as a college to create a curriculum and an environment that encourages each student to think about that question.

Most important, Dartmouth students agree. In a biannual survey last fall, the Tucker Foundation asked students about the importance of several "missions" of the College. Perhaps not surprisingly, students expressed strong support for "nurturing intellectual development," and "increasing opportunities in life." Almost as strongly, however, students expressed overwhelming support for "nurturing my character, values, and personal development." Ninety-two percent of Dartmouth students believe this mission is either "important" or "very important" for the College.

If we accept this charge as a mission and responsibility of the College, how do we measure our success? In our survey, we asked students whether "you feel that your character, civic, moral, and/or spiritual values are developing in a positive way at Dartmouth." Seventy percent said "yes," 6 percent said "no," and 24 percent are "not sure." These numbers are not bad, but not fantastic. We need to work harder. When some in our country are disengaging from the social and moral issues of our day, Dartmouth has a responsibility to engage not only your minds, but also your hearts. If you leave the College not only more competent, but also more committed to others, then we - you and Dartmouth College - will have succeeded.