Men's laxers blow seven-goal lead, lose to Vermont

The Dartmouth men's lacrosse team lost momentum late in the yesterday's game against the Catamounts of Vermont, eventually blowing a seven-goal lead and losing the game, 14-13, in Burlington.

The Big Green failed to maintain what seemed to be an insurmountable seven-goal lead with 10 minutes left in the game.

Leading 12-5 in the fourth quarter, Dartmouth allowed the Catamounts to tally nine of the last 10 goals of the game and walk away with a surprise win.

The heart breaking loss came just three days after the Big Green's biggest win of the season -- a 7-6 victory over Ivy foe Brown on Saturday. Dartmouth dropped to 4-7 overall, while the Catamounts improved to 4-8.

"[It was] the biggest fluke I've ever heard of or felt," Josh Holman '01 said.

Dartmouth led 7-2 at halftime, and 11-5 at the end of three periods.

UVM's late-game goal rush included six goals in the final 3:25 and three in the final 51 seconds. The Catamounts' Kip Edwards notched the game-winner with 16 seconds left on a rebound off a post.

Edwards led the Catamounts with four goals. Vermont outshot Dartmouth 33-29.

Schuyler Minert '01 led the Big Green offense as he scored a hat trick along with tallying three assists. Ross Johnson '02 also had a three-goal performance for Dartmouth.

Dave Maher '99 and Jay Tatum '99 each added two goals while Gregg Edell '00, Georges Dyer '01 and Adam Solow '01 scored a goal each.

Goalkeepers Andrew Dance '99 and Scott MacArthur '02 combined for 8 saves.

"After a game like that it is easy to lose spirit," Holman said. "But with our team that will not happen."

Dartmouth heads down to New Jersey on Saturday to face the top-ranked and three-time defending national champion Princeton University.

"We play Princeton on Saturday, a team Dartmouth has never in its history beat," Holman said. "I hope we use today to realize that UVM's beating us is no different than our beating Princeton. I hope we remember the taste that game left in our mouth and make it a point to leave our next opponent with that same feeling."

Game-time in the Garden State is 1 p.m.