Bradley to speak in public forum

Democratic Presidential candidate and former New Jersey Senator Bill Bradley will be the first candidate in the 2000 presidential race to come to the College this weekend when he arrives to discuss his campaign with students and community members at a forum sponsored by The Dartmouth and WDCR.

Bradley, who was a New York Knicks basketball star before turning to politics, will talk with students on Sunday at 11 a.m. in Sanborn Library's Wren Room. This discussion will be open to the public.

"We're really excited about this opportunity to kick off what should be an exciting campaign season," President of The Dartmouth Jacob Elberg '00, who will be moderating the event, said. "We hope this will be the first of a number of chances for the candidates to come to Dartmouth and hear what issues are important to students and give students the opportunity to hear what the candidates have to say."

Bradley had previously planned on only meeting with students volunteering on his campaign but later added this discussion session for the general community. The Hanover visit, which also includes a reception at the home of Physiology Professor Charles Wira is part of a three-day swing through the Granite State.

The candidate will field questions on campaign finance reform, a favorite of Bradley's, and other issues from the audience. WDCR is covering the event for the radio and the complete audio recording will be available on The Dartmouth's website.

Bradley served as U.S. Senator from 1977 to 1997 after helping the Knicks win two NBA championships as the starting forward. In the Senate, Bradley was well known as a moderate Democrat for his emphasis on campaign finance and tax reform.

He graduated from Princeton University and was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship to study at Oxford University.

He is currently the only candidate challenging Vice President Al Gore for the Democratic Presidential nomination.