Baseball loses to Vermont, 11-4

The Big Green baseball team fell to Vermont for the second time of the season yesterday by the score of 11-4. Dartmouth's record now stands at 8-15 going into tomorrow's home game against St. Anselm. Dartmouth had lost previously to the University of Vermont by the score of 12-8 during the Homestead Challenge in Florida.

The main problem for Dartmouth was getting runners home. Vermont pitchers provided the Big Green with plenty of opportunity allowing ten walks and hitting five batters by pitches. Despite these control problems, Vermont pitchers Eric Deso and Ted DeMulder combined to hold down the Dartmouth offense to just four hits.

Aaron Meyer '00 was hitless in the effort which saw freshman Dan Becker step up. Becker was the only multi-hit member of the Big Green going 2-for-2 with a double and two RBIs. Mike Conway '99 and Eric Anderson '99 each posted a hit, with Conway scoring two runs, and Anderson collecting two RBIs.

The scoring came early and often for Vermont as they countered Dartmouth's first inning run off an Anderson single with two of their own and then another in the third. Becker's double in the fourth evened the score by bringing Conway and Rockers home, but Vermont added two more in the bottom half. It was Becker again in the fifth, scoring when Anderson was hit by a pitch, but Vermont came back with a pair in the bottom half to up their lead to 7-4. They would add four more in the eighth to cruise to the 11-4 victory.

Freshman Damien Roomets took the hill for the Big Green, but descended by the fourth inning after being tagged for eight hits and five runs while striking out four. This was Roomets' first start of the season, having worked exclusively in relief up to this point.

Vermont's offense was highlighted by Bob Acabbo who was 4-for-4 with two doubles, five RBIs, and three runs scored, and Wade Rikert who was 3-for-4.

Dartmouth returns home to face St. Anselm this afternoon at 3:30 p.m.