Alumni reactions range from anger to approval

Alumni interviewed by The Dartmouth last night had strong reactions -- both positive and negative -- to the plan that could end the Greek system "as we know it."

The plan announced Tuesday by College President James Wright and the Board of Trustees could put an end to Dartmouth's single-sex fraternity system in favor of a more "substantially coeducational" social experience.

The decision sparked anger and opposition from some members of the alumni, with some even withdrawing pledges made to the Alumni Fund.

Kenneth Reich '60, although unaffiliated with a fraternity while at Dartmouth, was strongly opposed to the plan that could put an end to the College's single-sex fraternity and sorority system.

"The President and the Trustees are telling men and women that they have to live together and that isn't right," Reich said. "I think it's important at Dartmouth to allow people choices."

In response, Reich reduced his pledge to the Alumni Fund and shifted his money into the General Scholarship fund so it would not go to support the administration.

"In most cases I've been pretty supportive of the Dartmouth administration but I think this is extremism," Reich said.

Recent Dartmouth alumni were overwhelmingly opposed to the proposed changes, according to Assistant Director of the Alumni Fund Christopher Boffoli, who works with the alumni who have graduated in the last seven years.

David Smith '98, a Heorot alumnus, said he thought his classmates were against the initiative.

"I haven't spoken to anyone who agrees with the decision," Smith said. "There already are coed organizations. The fact that they're not successful is indicative to me that lots of people don't want that."

Scott Rupp '95, an Alpha Delta alumnus, disagreed with the announcement as well, although he said the ideas behind it weren't all bad.

"I think outlining goals and principles for the social system is a good idea as background for discussion and debate," Rupp said. "What troubles me is what appears to be a unilateral decision that the Greek system as we know it must be eliminated to achieve these goals."

But there were many alumni of the College, particularly those formerly involved in coed societies, who felt the change to a more coeducational system could be a positive force in the Dartmouth social system.

Melissa Parkerton '90, a member of Panarchy, said she favored coed houses over traditional single-sex organizations.

"We didn't have a lot of social alternatives to the frats," Parkerton said. "I was in a coed house that was very supportive and the experience that I had in frats were not."

Parkerton said she thought changes to the current Greek system would have positive effects.

"I think that abolishing fraternities would definitely create a safer, healthier environment," Parkerton said.

Owen Gottliebb '95, one of the co-founders of Asgard, a student-run organization devoted to providing alternative social activities, said he supported the principles set forth by the Trustees, although he didn't necessarily support an end to the current Greek system.

However, Gottliebb said he thought the current coed organizations could serve as a model for the proposed social system.

"It is crucial it is that the administration devote its support and respect the current coed residential and social institutions at Dartmouth. Such institutions already embody the principles that the Trustees have set forth."

Rupp also said he would like the administration to consider alumni response.

"Alumni are extremely opposed to elimination of the fraternities and sororities absent real consideration of alumni and student views," Rupp said.

The expected debate over the five principles set out by President Wright and the Trustees motivated Rupp to monitor the reactions of those distanced from the College and administrative decisions. Rupp has set up a response email account with several other alumni to garner reactions to the proposed changes from other alumni.

Reactions can be emailed to dartmouthundying@hotmail.com. More than 500 responses were received yesterday. They will be posted on a website so other alumni and students can access them by Monday.

Ronald Mackenzie '56 said he would only support an initiative that was supported by both students and administration.

"If it's an edict from the top then I don't agree," Mackenzie said.

However, the most frequently voiced opinion was one of confusion, according to Alumni Relations officers.

"Largely the initial reaction has been to ask what exactly is going on, what's the true story," Vice President of Development and Alumni Relations Stanley Colla said.

Sumiko Medaru '94 said she was surprised by the announcement and didn't think it had been clearly communicated to alumni.

"I'm a little confused as to what the decision is," Medaru said. "I think I'd like to know what exactly those five principles are."

Some of this confusion may be due to potentially misleading statements from Boffoli that were sent in an email to at least one alumnus.

In a message sent to Dave Coleman '97, Boffoli wrote, "The accounts you may have read in the media have been distorted and misrepresented. President Wright and the Trustees have no plans to eliminate the Greek system. In fact, the College wouldn't even have the right to touch the national houses as they are in private hands."

This statement contradicts statements by President Wright earlier this week. In an interview with The Dartmouth earlier this week, he said, "We're going to become a coeducational system, one that is more inclusive of students that provide more variety, more options."

The administration hopes to purchase many of the privately-owned houses, Wright added.

"I can see where that statement would lead to confusion amongst our alumni," Colla said.

However, the Alumni Relations Office maintained that it's goal is to keep alumni informed, "with the intention to comment accurately and to try to help the alumni understand the facts of the situation," Colla said.

Boffoli said he didn't intend to mislead anyone, and the statement was a result of conflicting messages he had received.

"What I've read in the media, what I've read in The D and what I've read in press releases all seems to be different. It's hard to know some of the right things to say at the time," Boffoli said.