CFSC elects first female president

For the first time in College history, the Coed Fraternity and Sorority Council elected a female president to govern over the College's Greek organizations.

Jaimie Paul '00, a member of Sigma Delta sorority, was elected to the position yesterday afternoon. Paul formerly served as secretary to the CFSC and served briefly as Summer term president during her sophomore year.

Paul said she was "definitely excited" about the position, and added that it was something she wanted to do for a long time.

Her plans for the next three terms are to work on student-faculty interaction, continue to work on the new alcohol policy and improve the current programming, she said.

In addition, Paul said she would work further with TIPS, an alcohol awareness program that all new Greek members are required to attend. She said she would concentrate on making the program more efficient.

Other students elected were Chris Paolino '00 to the position of vice president, Allison Thomas '00 to secretary, Kevan Higgins '00 to treasurer, Chris Burnett '01 to events manager and Mike Orchowski '00 to programming liaison.

Burnett, a brother at Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity, said he has been training for weeks for the post with the previous events manager.

He said his job requires him to "do a week's work for every weekend," making sure all registered parties comply with the College's alcohol policy.

"It's a pretty important job ... weekends mean a lot to students," he said, adding that he has been studying the new policy for weeks.

The newly-elected members of the CFSC mentioned the College Committee on Alcohol and Other Drugs' new alcohol policy and the complications that may arise from it.

John Muckle '99 -- former CFSC president -- called the new policy "a work in progress," and said the new council members "still need to evaluate it."

Muckle said he was happy with the level of experience in all of the newly-elected council members. He said he hoped they would also continue work on changing programming standards to be more diverse.

More diversity was also an important issue for programming liaison Michael Orchowski '00, a member of Sigma Nu fraternity. Orchowski will work with programming chairs from each Greek house to coordinate their events. Orchowski said he would like to bring more diverse entertainment to campus.

Paul said she aims to increase publicity for the CFSC and is looking into "doing more publications," as well as increasing student attendance and diversity at Greek events.

The new council members were elected by a combination of all the Fraternity, Sorority and Coed house presidents and outgoing CFSC members.