The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion releases strong album

On Oct. 20, Matador Records released the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion's fifth studio album, "Acme." With its most commercial and accessible album yet, the group hopes to head in a new, more refined direction.

Like many upcoming downtown, Manhattan alternative/rock 'n roll groups, the Explosion is not one of the most "listenable" groups in America.

Granted, its incorporation of wild styles and high energy do not make things easy to record, but the band does a commendable job on this album.

The Explosion was spawned in 1990 by Jon Spencer, who had broken up the loud group Pussy Galore. He brought in drummer Russell Simins and six-stringer Judith Bauer.

The Explosion features loud guitars (no bass) sexual innuendoes and glam. Their live shows are an unbelievable example of high energy and ultra intense bursts of power.

In my opinion, their show is unrivaled in intensity. Watching Spencer singing in his southern drawl, crooning to women, conducting the band and ripping short but intense riffs, is exciting and almost shocking. Spencer is definitely the core of the group.

Believe it or not, Spencer was born and raised in Hanover and his father is a professor at Dartmouth. Spencer attended Brown University as a semiotics major but soon dropped out.

Being from an upperclass background and from above the Mason-Dixon Line, it is strange that the JSBX would be carrying the flag for the revival of the blues.

The group does not even sound like a stereotypical blues band; in fact, "Acme" sounds much more like the "Let it Bleed" and "Exile on Mainstreet" era of the Rolling Stones.

As on previous albums, Judith Bauer's twangy, gritty guitar style sounds much like Keith Richards. Drummer Simins continues his Bonham style drumming -- he could very well be the loudest drummer on the circuit.

Over the years, the Explosion has created a great circle of collaborators that give them the chance to experiment with their sound.

The Jesus Lizard, Chemical Brothers, Beastie Boys, Luscious Jackson, Cibo Matto, Moby, Wu Tang Clan, Beck, the Breeders, etc. have all helped or collaborated with the group.

"Acme" was recorded and mixed by many different people and at six different recording studios. The opening song, "Calvin," was recorded by Calvin Johnson at his Dub Narcotic Studio and mixed by T-Ray (Helmet, CypressHill).

The Explosion's first release, "Talkin' About the Blues" was recorded there as well.

Dan Nakamura, otherwise known as the Automator, is a freestyle hip-hop scratcher who offers his services on "Talk About the Blues," "Torture," "Blues Green Olga" and "Do You Wanna Get Heavy."

Long time collaborator Jim Waters, who helped produce the "Extra Width," "Orange" and "Now I got Worry" albums, produces "Lovin' Machine."

Alec Empire from Atari Teenage Riot adds his crazy energetic cacophony on the last track, aptly named "Attack." Several of the tracks are recorded by Steve Albini (Nirvava, Big Black) as well, to add that edgy, rough sound.

Jill Cuniff of Luscious Jackson has co-writing credits and sings back up on "Blue Green Olga."

"Acme" is a far cry from "Now I Got Worry," a release that was a punkish response to the accessible, party album "Orange."

The album opens up with "Calvin," a tribute track to Calvin Johnson who records this track. This song has an almost Medeski, Martin and Wood type sound and feel, but with an edge only the Explosion can provide.

"Magical Colors" is a very interesting, uncharacteristically chill track for the Explosion. The third and fifth tracks, "Do You Wanna Get Heavy" and "Talk About The Blues," lean towards the experimental side of the group.

Very strange to say the least, but interesting. The drums and beats sound almost hip-hoppy, but they don't necessarily help with the flow of the album.

"Attack" is very different, rather harsh and lacks cohesion to the rest of the album. Perhaps this is a statement for the next album.

What makes "Acme" interesting instead of a rehash of previous albums is the tug-of-war feel on the various tracks: different musicians' styles coming together as one.

Overall this album is more consistent than "Now I Got Worry" but lacks the smooth flow of "Orange."

Judith Bauer continues his strong texture-style six-stringing, and Russell Simins is perfect in his straightforward, simple drumming. Therefore, the person that makes or breaks the group is controversial Jon Spencer.

Lyrically, his songs have not changed from the past. Unfortunately, his yells can be rather annoying at times, and fans need to overlook his lack of things to say on some tracks.

Words like "I'm a Lovin' Machine, I'll be one all night long..." pretty much dominate "Acme."

These days it is difficult to find new music that pushes the envelope in the world of rock and roll.

Fortunately, bands like the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion are willingly doing what they like to do, even if it means breaking the rules a little bit.

If nothing else, "Acme" is a successful attempt at party-fun, blues-based rock and roll that harks back to the Rolling Stones.

It is simply good, new music that should not be ignored. The John Spencer Blues Explosion deserves attention for being one of the more innovative bands around.