Popper to play on Sunday

Blues Traveler, the four-member band that mixes blues and rock to create their songs, will be playing their first ever Dartmouth show this Sunday night in this Programming Board event.

The band will perform at 8 p.m. in Leede Arena. Agents of Good Roots will open the show.

Under the lead of John Popper, the band will be performing a 3-4 hour show featuring Popper's well-known harmonica music and the band's unique style.

Blues Traveler, whose latest release was "Straight on Till Morning" in July 1997, is known best for its singles "Run-around" and "Hook" off its album "Four."

The band features John Popper on harmonica and lead vocals, Chan Kinchla on guitar, Bob Sheehan on bass and Brendan Hill on drums and percussion.

Blues Traveler was formed when the band members were in high school together in Princeton, NJ. After graduation, the band took to the road in a van, starting their tradition of nearly non-stop touring.

The band was signed with A&M Records in 1989, and released its self-titled debut in 1990. Since then, the band has toured almost non-stop, performing an average of 250 shows per year.

Blues Traveler is also responsible for founding the H.O.R.D.E. Festival in 1992, which brought together unknown bands and allowed them to play at larger venues. H.O.R.D.E. proved quite successful, exposing the band to a larger audience and boosting its popularity. This summer's tour, the seventh H.O.R.D.E. Festival, was the most successful yet, carrying big names like Smashing Pumpkins, Barenaked Ladies, Paula Cole and Ben Harper as well as highlighting lesser-known acts on the second stage.

Blues Traveler is also known for playing long sets or two sets at a show. Sunday night's performance is expected to be at least 3 hours long plus the opening act. In addition to its hits and lesser known songs, Popper has been known to perform long harmonica solos, which reflect his talent more than studio albums.

Tickets for the show are still available from the Collis Information desk or by calling Ticketmaster at (603) 868-7300. Tickets are $25 for Dartmouth undergraduates and $28 for others. Tickets may also be purchased at the door.