'Tis the season: Zippers release new Christmas album: While it is not their best or most lively ablum, the Squirrel Nut Zippers still put out a decent new work

Do you like Christmas? I mean, do you really like Christmas? So much so that you would buy an album which consisted entirely of Christmas music?

Well, apparently Squirrel Nut Zippers likes Christmas enough to make an entire album dedicated to it. In "Christmas Caravan," the Zippers offer up 10classic Christmas songs from the era of big band and swing.

The Squirrel Nut Zippers, one of the few successful big bands in existence, have produced a number of moderately popular albums pre-dating this latest release.

For some reason, there seems to be a recent trend among retro bands like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and the Zippers towards producing albums dedicated to Christmas.

In the case of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy we have "What you want for Christmas?" a six-track album containing four Christmas arrangements and their two most popular songs "Go Daddy-O!" and "You and Me and the Bottle Makes Three Tonight."

As always, the Squirrel Nut Zippers display fantastic skill with their instruments as they play songs which sound exactly as they might have when they were first written decades ago.

In fact, the songs are so well done that it is difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish between those songs which were actually created in the 40s and those which were written this year by the band.

Particularly interesting tracks are "Indian Giver," which deals with the unwelcome reclamation of Christmas gifts, and "A Johnny Ace Christmas" which tells the story of a Christmas Eve break-up.

While the Zippers are certainly interested in sending important social messages, not all the tracks discuss important issues like abandonment and gift greed.

Rather, most of the album gently glides its way through wistful looks back at simpler Christmas seasons with the occasional faster track to add spice.

My personal pick for best track on this album is the previously mentioned "A Johnny Ace Christmas."

The female singer moans her way through the sad story in a husky voice telling of her sadness at being left alone on Christmas Eve. This excellent, bluesy tune would be a great addition to any rotation at Christmas time.

However, while the album does contain a few faster selections, it is important to note that for the most part, the melodies are slow and mellow.

So, if you were expecting some of the Squirrel Nut Zippers' usual hot big band action, you'll be disappointed with this CD. There are a couple of songs with a quicker pace ("Indian Giver", "Hot Christmas"), but really, this is a CD for relaxing, not dancing.

Basically, if you're extremely mellow and you really love Christmas or are looking to start a Christmas collection, then this is the CD for you to buy.

If not, well, I suggest taking a lesson from the earlier Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Christmas album and staying away from this release.

Christmas is not a holiday that lends itself to truly rocking music. Rather, grab a mug of cocoa or cider (whichever you prefer) and kick back under the Christmas tree to enjoy some very smooth tunes.