Wright Chapter Begins

James Wright ceremoniously took over the office of College president yesterday before a crowd of approximately 5,000 people at a combined Inauguration and Convocation on Baker Lawn.

Wright, the 16th president of Dartmouth, was greeted by a standing ovation after receiving the Charter of the College from chairman of the Board of Trustees Stephen Bosworth and the Wentworth Bowl from former President James O. Freedman.

"It is with a sense of awe and with keen anticipation that I embrace this new responsibility at the institution I have loved and served for 29 years, under four presidents," he said.

In his inaugural address, Wright said the College should continue its traditions without becoming confined by them.

In remarks that echoed his April speech accepting the position, Wright emphasized a "dual commitment" to undergraduate teaching and research opportunities, calling Dartmouth "both a college and a university."

"We at Dartmouth are proud to call ourselves a College, recognizing that Dartmouth is a college that has many of the best characteristics of a university. We are a university in terms of our activities and our programs, but one that remains a college in name and its basic values and purposes," he said. "In this paradox -- this tension -- lies our identity and our strength."

Wright said increased interdisciplinary work and research by students and faculty should complement the continuing focus on undergraduate teaching at the College.

He said he plans to support Dartmouth's graduate and professional programs in addition to using them as a "greater resource" for the entire College.

Wright also spoke about diversity and the out-of-classroom experience at the College.

The audience applauded when he said the College would enhance its financial aid and scholarship programs in order to further diversify the student body.

Applause continued when Wright announced his plan to work with students to expand students' social and residential options.

"The diversity of our social options needs to reflect the diversity of the community," he said. "Students have a vision of what this might be, and I am excited to be able to work with them to pursue this."

Wright will resume his teaching career during the Winter term. He said he hopes his decision will satisfy him personally and also demonstrate his devotion to teaching as the College expands its research activities.

He closed his speech by welcoming the Class of 2002 and imploring its members to take on the responsibility of enhancing the "richness of this special place."

Convocation accompanied the inauguration, marking the beginning of the College's 229th year. The ceremony's themes paralleled some of the topics of Wright's speech.

After an opening prayer by Interim College Chaplain Gwendolyn King, Student Assembly President Josh Green '00 spoke first and addressed the Class of 2002, stressing the new students' role of creating a College that is "one class closer to perfection."

"Just as Dartmouth needs President Wright today, and for the next four years, Dartmouth needs you -- the '02s," he said.

He told students in the Class of 2002 to take advantage of the freedom that comes with college life, while recognizing their jobs as a "servants of humanity."

Green emphasized the need to narrow the racial, sexual, financial and religious divides between students. He also called for the improvement of students' social and cultural options.

Students should play a larger role in "determining the long term future" of the College by participating in the selection of the Board of Trustees and defining financial needs to be addressed in capital campaigns, Green said.

John Hope Franklin, a former Montgomery Fellow, then gave a speech that focused on two subjects later mentioned in Wright's address. Franklin is professor of history emeritus at Duke University and chairman of President Clinton's Initiative on Race and Reconciliation.

Franklin said he was impressed with the Dartmouth's connection between teaching and research, and its "conscious commitment" to diversity.

He said Freedman's decision to resign in order to return to teaching and research exemplified his attractiveness as a college president -- a "scholar-administrator."

In addition to Freedman and former President David McLaughlin, family members of former presidents John G. Kemeny and John Sloan Dickey attended the ceremony.

Representatives of about 50 other colleges were also present, including Willamette College's president, Dartmouth's former dean of the College, Lee Pelton.

Acting Provost Constance Brinckerhoff presided over the ceremony.

Although the governor of New Hampshire traditionally participates in Dartmouth's presidential inaugurations, current Governor Jeanne Shaheen could not attend yesterday because of legislative activity.