Prof. nominated for Nat'l Science Board

President Clinton has named Biology Professor George Langford as one of five scientists to serve on the National Science Board -- the policy making group of the National Science Foundation.

Clinton nominated Langford to the Board last Thursday. The Board helps set national research priorities and controls billions of dollars each year in research grants through the science foundation.

"I'm very excited about it," Langford said. "It's a unique responsibility, and I'm really happy to have the chance to give my opinion on important funding issues of the future."

The members of the Board represent each of the scientific fields. As a biologist, Langford said, one of his goals during his time on the Board will be to "assure adequate funding for the biological sciences," but he said he does not have specific funding projects in mind.

"I don't want to go to the Board with preconceived notions of what's important," Langford said.

In addition to its influence on research priorities, Langford said the Board acts as an advocate for the sciences to ensure strong federal support.

Dean of the Faculty Edward Berger said "it is a real distinction for the College to have someone appointed to a position of such importance, with one of the two premiere science funding agencies in the country."

Langford and the four other scientists Clinton named must be confirmed by the Senate. Langford said he was contacted by the White House six months ago and asked if he would be willing to be a nominee for the position. Since then, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has been conducting an extensive background check on Langford and the other nominees, he said.

Langford said his position on the Board will not interfere with his teaching at the College. Members of the Board serve six-year terms, during which time they are required to make six trips a year to Washington, D.C., Langford said.

The position on the Board will not be Langford's first association with the National Science Foundation. He has served in several different capacities, including as a member of the review panel, which "reviews applications and proposals that came to the foundation," he said.