Frank speaks on changing Europe

History Professor Tibor Frank from Budapest, Hungary spoke about the "New Europe" to a group of about 25 in 1 Rockefeller yesterday. The speech covered topics including the Americanization and unionization of European countries and the consequences of these events.

According to Frank, a great deal of Americanization is occurring in Europe. For example, Frank said that English is becoming a commonly used language throughout Europe among both middle and elite social classes. Music Television is now broadcast to Russia in Russian, and fast-food restaurants are becoming more popular.

"McDonald's is civilizing people," Frank said. "People learn they have to wash their hands before eating." According to Frank, many Europeans are angry about the takeover of inexpensive European restaurants by fast-food chains, but Frank said he thinks the removal of these restaurants is helpful in the creation of more civilized and modern societies.

In addition to MTV, "Dallas" is currently being broadcast in Hungary and "Family Ties" is helping to transmit American family values to Europe.

"Europe is one of the fastest changing societies and economies in the world," Frank said. According to Frank, having knowledge of European histories and languages is more important than ever for "younger generations," as changes in the European and global economy will require more European specialists.

"This is the time to deconstruct and reconstruct Europe," Frank said. He said it is important for Americans to understand that Europe is undergoing major changes that will change the way people interact with Europe's economy.

Another change occurring in Europe is the advancement of technology. Frank cited the advancement of information and military technology as being responsible for the disappearance of the Soviet Union.

The Iron Curtain -- multiple and tight borders that prevented citizens from moving in and out of the Soviet Union -- became unnecessary because of new missile technology.

Frank said information technology played a large role in the weakening of dictators.

"After a while, it was impossible to stop people from knowing what's going on," Frank said.

Frank also discussed a rise of ethnicity in all European countries. According to Frank, Russia has 24 million Russians who have since left for other European countries.

Frank said these changes may result in the death of many small European countries. He said European borders will "spirit away" into a large, European union. Frank said that due to economic inequality, poor countries may be left out of the union and a "silver curtain" will form, causing economic tensions.

A shrinking population is another part of what Frank terms the "New Europe." Frank said the economic and political changes that have occurred have, in some cases, made it more difficult for people to have children.

Finally, Frank said the current division of countries causes natural energy to be separated, making it more difficult for manufacturing to occur. He said this causes economic vulnerability, which can help dictators come to power in weaker countries. Frank said the unionization of Europe could solve this problem.

Frank is a Professor of History and Director of the School of English and American Studies at Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest, Hungary. He attended school in Budapest, Hungary and Cambridge, England. He has a B.A. in Modern History and a Ph.D. in History.

Frank has published four books, including "The British Image of Hungary" and his latest, "Genius in Exile," which discusses professional immigration.