Sigma Nu wins academic award

The Sigma Nu national fraternity awarded its Dartmouth chapter the Bronze Cup last weekend for having the second highest grade point average among over 200 Sigma Nu chapters nationwide.

Steve Wiesenthal '00, president of Sigma Nu's Dartmouth chapter, received the award during the fraternity's national convention in Orlando, Fla. Wiesenthal said his chapter currently has a GPA of 3.27.

Wiesenthal said the Dartmouth chapter usually wins the Gallagher Cup, which is presented to the chapter with the highest GPA, but said he was not disappointed his house did not receive Sigma Nu's highest academic honor.

"In the past few years we've been number one," Sigma Nu member Matt Farrantino '00 said. "I guess we've slipped a little bit."

Wiesenthal said Sigma Nu's Dartmouth chapter prides itself on its academics, and said the brothers "definitely work on scholarship in the house." He said Sigma Nu is usually "among the top few" Dartmouth fraternities in terms of GPA.

"If we have brothers that are having difficulties, we ask around to other brothers to find people to help them," Wiesenthal said.

The Dartmouth chapter of Sigma Nu's 3.27 average GPA is .01 points higher than last year's average Dartmouth GPA -- 3.26.