String Quartet plays varied musical forms

The musical styles and improvisational skill of these four talented musicians is a refreshing new twist on the world of jazz. The keyword with this group seems to be "integration," as the Turtle Island String Quartet brings together many facets of musical style and composition into a symphonic blend of something all their own.

Grammy Award nominees, the Turtle Island String Quartet fuses together the traditions of bluegrass, pop, blues and jazz to create a musical diversity of sound. Included in their repertoire are classics such as Dizzy Gillespie's "A Night in Tunisia" and Robert Johnson's "Crossroads," and extends to such styles as Jimi Hendrix's "Gypsie Eyes." Much of their music is also comprised of extraordinarily brilliant original compositions, as well as the standard classical treatments of Bach and Vivaldi.

The Quartet first began with principle violinist/composer David Balakrishnan. His Master's Thesis was a composition of "string quartet music that couldn't be played by any existing quartet at the time." After making the acquaintance of violinist David Anger, a friendship soon ensued founded upon their joint appreciation of various musical styles.

After being joined by cellist Mark Summer, whose tenure had just ended with the Winnipeg Symphony, the Turtle Island String Quartet was born, the name the Native North Americans used for the continent they lived on.

To the Quartet's credit are appearances on "CBS Sunday Morning" the "Today Show," National Public Radio broadcasts and regional radio and television appearances. They also lead a String Improvisation Workshop at the University of Massachusetts/Amherst in the Summer, which teaches students from around the world their extensive techniques. They also do workshops and master classes as part of their international touring.

Cellist Yo-Yo Ma said "at a time when many people in the musical field are looking for a new direction and renewal, the Turtle Island String Quartet is a unified voice that truly breaks new ground ... authentic and passionate ... a reflection of some of the most creative music making today."

Experiencing the Quartet's stage performances, you'll begin to notice why this group is so popular. From the cellist's whacking of his bow on the strings for percussion effects, to the violinist playing his violin as if it were a guitar, the power of this groups not only comes from their impressive combinations of traditional and non-standard works, but also from their electrifying stage presence.

Touring in Europe, Japan, Southeast Asia, South America and Canada, their constant receipt of standing ovations by all audiences is an indication of the success of this world renowned group. Balakrishnan once said, "Once of the things I love to do is look for the weird connections between music that you wouldn't think has connections." What a refreshing approach to the ever-so-popular world of jazz.