Student Assembly releases 'Visions' book

Issues surrounding social life at the College topped the list of student concerns, according to Visions of Dartmouth, the Student Assembly-compiled book which contains more than 800 student opinions.

Students voiced concerns about the lack of social options and programming space, the role of the Greek system and alcohol in the Visions book, submitted to administrators, including College President-elect James Wright, at the end of Spring term.

The Visions project is the culmination of the Assembly's efforts during Winter term to collect opinions about the College from the student body. Soliciations for "visions" occurred as the Board of Trustees were searching for the 16th president of Dartmouth after College President James Freedman stepped down last September.

"Students wrote about what is most important to them," Visions Committee Co-Chair Janelle Ruley '00 said. "Looking through the visions, you can see what connects each person to Dartmouth."

Most students who addressed social issues in their submission to the Visions project said they were concerned about the lack of social options and programming space at the College.

"The lack of social space has become increasingly apparent," one student wrote. "Students who do not wish to participate in the frat scene have nowhere to go."

Some students criticized the role of the Greek system, saying it over-dominated social life at Dartmouth, while other students said the fraternities and sororities helped foster close friendships.

Other top concerns included the lack of diversity at Dartmouth.

"Diversity is one of the most potent forms of a liberal arts education and I would urge the campus and administration to encourage this interation as much as possible," one student wrote.

Administrators, including Wright, are expected to meet with members of the Visions committee to discuss the contents of the book on July 14.