Presidential Biographer Doris Kearns Goodwin to address grads

As members of the Class of 1998 look toward the future, they will listen to an address by Doris Kearns Goodwin, a woman who has done extensive studies of the past.

Goodwin, a presidential biographer and an assistant to former President Lyndon Johnson, received the Pulitzer-prize in 1995 for her biography of the Roosevelts, "No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II."

Other Goodwin bestsellers include "Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream" and "The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys, An American Saga." Most recently, she authored "Wait Till Next Year," a memoir of her childhood woven around her loyalty to the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team.

Goodwin's television appearances have included commentary on "Nightline," "Today," Good Morning America," "The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour" and "CBS Morning News."

Goodwin also claims she was the first woman journalist to enter the Red Sox locker room.

The Council on Honorary Degrees, the Board of Trustees and College President James Freedman chose Goodwin as speaker after a year long search. Freedman said it was important a woman speak at this year's Commencement, since the College is celebrating the 25th anniversary of coeducation.

"[Goodwin is] a wonderful student of American history. She has a deep understanding of the presidency," he said. "My guess is that she's going to talk about public service, and about the importance of making a contribution to American history."

Biology Professor and member of the Council on Honorary Degrees George Langford said he was pleased a woman will speak to this year's graduates-- the first since Elizabeth Dole, president of the American Red Cross, spoke in 1991.

Tuck Professor Paul Argenti, who chairs the Council on Honorary Degrees, said he thinks Goodwin "is going to be a great speaker."

"She's a smart woman, has written a lot of great stuff, and I think she has a lot of stuff to say to you folks," Argenti added.

Engineering Professor Graham Wallis, a member of the Council of Honorary Degrees, said he did not remember who was chosen to speak at Commencement and asked The Dartmouth to remind him.

He said "the committee had very little input" on the choice, and he did not know much about Goodwin.

Adrian Durbin '98 said he has "read a couple of her books before, and I think it's a fantastic choice. I was surprised at how many of my friends did not know who she is."

He said he thinks Goodwin will give "a very good speech," because she is "an extremely good story teller, and she brings a lot of anecdotes to her stories."

Mary Albert '98 said she does not know a lot about Goodwin, but she cares more about the quality of her speech than the prominence of her name.

Albert said she heard Finnish Prime Minister Paavo Lipponen '64 speak at last year's Commencement, and she "didn't find his message very relevant to college students."

"As long as [Goodwin] says something meaningful, then fine," she said.

Goodwin has given addresses at Wellesley College, Black Hills State University, Bates College, Douglass College, Colby College and Kansas State University, among other colleges and universities. She also received a honorary degree from Northeastern University.

A native of Rhode Island, Goodwin graduated magna cum laude from Colby College before earning a doctorate from Harvard University. She taught at Harvard as a Professor of Government for 10 years.

The College will present Goodwin with an honorary doctor of letters degree and six others with honorary degrees in today's Commencement ceremony.