Lazar Dimitrov '98 will give valedictory address

Lazar Dimitrov, a math and economics double major from Bulgaria who received 35 A grades and one A- in his years at Dartmouth, is the single valedictorian for the Class of 1998.

Last year, for the first time in College history, two seniors shared the honor -- both had only one A- in their transcripts.

Dimitrov, who also minored in French, earned eight citations and was inducted early into Phi Beta Kappa, the national honor society. His final Grade Point Average was 3.99.

Dimitrov received his only A- during the winter of his freshman year in Economics 20.

He said the grade "was a blow" at first, but it also took away the pressure of trying to earn a 4.0 grade point average. Afterwards, he said, he decided "whatever happens, happens and it's been easier on me" since then.

He added that earning a 4.0 and being valedictorian were not his goals when he came to the College.

Dimitrov said he was notified two or three weeks ago that he and another student were in the running for valedictorian honors, so that it would not come as a last minute surprise and no one would have to write a speech on short notice.

But Dimitrov said he knew before that time that he was a contender, "just [from] looking at my grades."

On Thursday morning at 11, Dimitrov got the official word.

He said he will be speaking about his experiences as an international student at Commencement.

He said as a financial aid student, he has tried to contribute to the community in a number of ways.

In addition to his studies, Dimitrov has worked as a French drill instructor and math tutor. He also attended the French Foreign Study Program in Toulouse.

In the spring of 1997, Dimitrov worked as a Presidential Scholar Research Assistant.

In October, he told The Dartmouth he was not surprised by the early Phi Bete invitation.

But, he said, "I take courses I'm interested in and learn as much as possible, and I'm gratified to have good grades."

Dimitrov will be heading to New York for two years after graduation.

"I'll be working at Merrill Lynch as a financial analyst," he said. "I don't know what I'm going to do right after that."

Last year's valedictorians, Daniel Fehlauer '97 and J. Brooks Weaver '97, had GPAs that differed by only .00026455. Weaver had 35 As and one A-, while Fehlauer, had 34 As and one A-.