Green Key Weekend alcohol violations up

The number of College alcohol policy violations increased this Green Key weekend, but there were fewer total complaints than there were last year, according to Safety and Security Proctor Robert McEwen.

The 12 alcohol policy violations, compared with three last year, were mainly for open containers or common sources of alcohol, McEwen said.

Safety and Security reported only 10 inebriates this weekend, slightly fewer than the 12 reported last year.

Hanover Police Sergeant Lawrence Ranslow said his department received six intoxication complaints and three indecent exposure complaints.

Ranslow said two Dartmouth students and a visitor from another college were taken into protective custody for alcohol use.

Also, Ranslow said, there were four driving-while-intoxicated incidents, each of which involved Dartmouth students.

McEwen said there was a total of 37 complaints this weekend, down from 43 last year.

While McEwen said there were no major complaints, he said there was "a couple" of lewd and lascivious behavior cases involving "people urinating on bushes and trees."

McEwen also said there were three cases of personal property theft and five incidents of firesafety violations involving people on fire escapes and tampering with fire extinguishers.

He said there was only one fire safety violation last year.

He said, however, that there was no increase in the number of thefts.

Ranslow reported four bike thefts, three incidents of damaged property and four noise complaints.

McEwen and Ranslow both said the traditional party weekend was relatively quiet considering the number of activities and the warm weather.

"With the good weather there was a lot of people around, and for the number of house parties it seemed pretty well behaved," Ranslow said.

McEwen and Ranslow both said Saturday was the quieter of the two nights.

"There were a lot of people moving around on Friday night ... and there were more events going on [Saturday] so people had places to go," McEwen said.

Ranslow said he thought the rain late Saturday night also might have contributed to the drop-off in incidents from the previous day.

This year, Green Key was shortened from a three-day weekend to a two-day weekend so students could attend classes on Friday.

Ranslow said the majority of the incidents occurred after 1:30 in the morning, when people started leaving fraternity parties.