Improvements planned for Green

There will be a lot of moving and shaking out on the Green in the coming weeks to get it back in shape for spring after wear and tear from the last two terms.

"It all starts with the Homecoming bonfire -- that's the start of the downfall," said Turf Manager Randy Brown, who has managed the College's lawns for the last 10 years. "Then comes the ice sculpture and the snow and plowing ... it's all really bad for the grass."

Brown said the current digging on the Green is to improve the electrical lines running beneath the area.

But Brown said the biggest problem for the Green is natural. "The heavy clay soil, common in this region, combined with a lot of use, compacts the Green."

Brown and his Facilities Operations and Management crew are currently involved in repairing the damage done to the Green and the surrounding lawns. "I expected this much damage. It's actually a light year -- there were few surprises," Brown said.

The most noticeable damage, in the north quadrant of the Green, which is without any grass, was fully expected. "We planted perennial rye grass in order to get covering for Homecoming knowing that it wouldn't survive the winter," Brown said.

After reseeding the quadrant and other damaged areas, sections of the lawn will be roped off to discourage people from walking on the developing grass.

Brown said he is unsure if he will reseed the quadrant with traditional and hearty Kentucky blue grass or if he will use special hydroseed, a mixture of shredded newspaper, water, grass seed and green dye.

Hydroseeding will produce grass more quickly, but it must be done under precise conditions. "If it's done too soon when it's too cold, a crusty layer develops on top of the soil," Brown said.

He said every section of the Green will be aerated, like the grass in front of Dartmouth Hall and the strip of grass separating the Green and North Main Street are right now.

"Aeration helps to get oxygen down into the soil, relieving the compaction," Brown said.

Brown also said all sections of the Green might be reseeded in the future depending on time and availability of crews.

He said in the future he hopes to incorporate compost from the composting facility the College will share with the town of Hanover.

"The amount of compost we would need would be too expensive from another source," he said. "We're hoping to get a lot of the compost from the new facility."