Men's tennis 4-4 after road trip

The Big Green men's tennis team kicked off its season this past weekend with a strong showing at the University of California-Irvine Invitational. The tournament featured 16 powerful division I teams going head to head and would prove to be a litmus test for the Dartmouth squad.

The first match of the weekend had the Big Green going up against the second seed, the University of Nebraska. Dartmouth had its work cut out for itself as the Cornhuskers boasted a deep and talented squad.

Dartmouth drew first blood and took the doubles point. The always dominant duo of Erich Holzer '99 and Gabe Sauerhoff '99 won at the #1 spot 8-6. Captain Avery Rueb '98 and Rob Simik '99 gave the Green its second doubles victory and clinched the team's first point.

Heading into singles, Rob Chen '00 led the way, leveling his opponent 6-0,6-3 at the five spot. Sauerhoff struggled at No. 3. He lost the first set 4-6, squeaked through the second 7-5, but lost the match in the third set, 3-6.

"I really struggled with my play the whole trip," Sauerhoff said.

"I was very disappointed with my response to this first test of the spring season. Luckily, my teammates were able to step it up and get the job done," he said.

It took top-ranked Holzer three sets to put away Nebraska's Dinko Verzi. But in a quick turn of events, both Rueb and Simik fell and gave Nebraska two big points.

The Big Green's fate now rested on the performance of freshmen Harlan Thompson. Competing in his first spring tournament match, the rookie rose to the occasion and won in straight sets, 8-6 in a second set tie-breaker. Dartmouth had its first upset of the season, winning the match 4-3 over the Cornhuskers.

Next up was DePaul University and the Big Green had little trouble with this one. Because of potential rain, the match was shortened to the first team to reach four points. Dartmouth won easily, 4-1, outmatching the Blue Demons in every aspect of the contest.

On to the semifinals the Green marched, facing off against Northeast Louisiana State. The match started off badly for the Green as the No. 2, 4, and 6 players hit the courts. Though Sauerhoff lost quickly, Rueb hung tough, but eventually succumbed in a tie-break in the third. Thompson's fate looked the same as he lost 1-6 in the first, but he held fast and brought home Dartmouth's first point, winning the second and third 6-2,6-3. Following suit, both Holzer and Simik, at No. 1 and No. 2 respectively, won in straight sets.

"I worked hard this winter to prepare myself for the season," Holzer commented on his weekend success. "I knew I had to develop my game and become more offensive minded. I started strongly and that initial confidence propelled me on the way to having a great showing at the tournament."

Chen couldn't put his opponent away and lost in a close three-setter. This tied the match up at 3-3 and the outcome of the match would be decided in doubles. In the end, the Big Green was tripped up as both the No.1 and No. 2 doubles teams lost. The Green run came to a halt in the semifinal, as the Ragin Cajuns posted a tough 4-3 victory .

Dartmouth now faces St. John's University at home on Friday.