Conway, Cole to be Spring term fellows

The first female president of Smith College, Jill Conway, and the first female African American president of Spelman College, Johnnetta Cole, will be the Montgomery Fellows for Spring term.

Executive Director of the Montgomery Endowment Barbara Gerstner's announcement of two female fellows coincides with the 25th anniversary of coeducation at the College.

Conway, a best-selling author who holds over 30 honorary degrees from North American colleges and universities, will be in residence from April 1-10, and Gerstner has already planned an itinerary for her.

"I've already got her schedule filled with going to classes and meeting a wide range of students," she said.

Conway's 10-day stay will be highlighted by a public address on Thursday, April 2 at 4 p.m. and will be based on a book she will be releasing. She has written such best-sellers as "The Road From Coorain" and an anthology of American women's autobiographies, "Written By Herself."

Cole will stay in Hanover for the entire month of May, according to Gerstner.

The cultural anthropologist, who was named one of America's most outstanding African Americans in the 20th anniversary editions of Essence and Black Enterprise magazines, does not yet have a slate of activities for her visit to the College.

The Montgomery Endowment invites several prominent individuals from various disciplines to come to the College and share their experiences in lectures or classes.

Montgomery Fellows stay in the Montgomery House, which is located across the street from Dick's House, during their time on campus.

The Montgomery Endowment has brought writers and scholars such as David McCullough, Toni Morrison and former President Gerald Ford to the College.

Fellows visit for periods varying from three days to three terms, depending on their schedules, the endowment's resources and whether the fellow is able to teach a course.

The Montgomery Endowment, established in 1977, was funded by Kenneth Montgomery '25 and his wife Harle.