Career Services prepares for futures

There is no specific, promising career path a student should follow, according to Director of Career Services Skip Sturman.

"[The] best fields are clearly in the eyes of the beholder," Sturman said in an interview with The Dartmouth on Saturday. "What is best for one student may be totally inappropriate for another."

According to Sturman, although Career Services has many magazine articles about in-demand fields, Dartmouth students are often able to find positions in any field they desire.

"We are well represented in the arts, the world of film, education, the environment [and] public service," he said.

Sturman said the best career path for a student depends on what "work-related needs" the student is trying to fulfill. In looking for a job or internship, Sturman recommends looking at the Career Services home page to browse a listing of over 1,700 possibilities.

Matt David '99 said although he did not use Career Services to obtain his current on-campus research internship he will be asking their assistance for his next job search.

"[Career Services] is a place that a lot of people fear going to, but once you go, there are suddenly a dozen people to show you what's there," he said.

David said the on-line job listings are one of the best resources Career Services provides.

Sturman also said that for each listing in the on-line database, there are many more leads in the internship directories and trade publications available in the Career Services office on Collis's third floor.

According to Sturman, Career Services has three major categories of services: discovery opportunities for students to choose a career path; internships and an alumni advisory network for students to assess their chosen career path; and strategies showing students how to best pursue their chosen internships and jobs.

He said although the majority of the job and internship opportunities listed in the Career Services databases are in the East, Career Services employees can help find similar available opportunities in a requested location.

Healy Jones '99, who is currently working at a New York investment banking firm during winter term, said although he lives in Chicago, he ended up working in New York this term.

"It's not a big deal," he said. "I just filled out the sign-up sheet, and I provided them with my resume, which [Career Services] then gave to the company."

Jones said although he had trouble finding an internship in the location he wanted, Career Services was extremely helpful, and he enjoys working in New York.

Sturman also recommends starting internship and entry-level job searches up to six to nine months in advance.

"Investment banking and consulting firms are trying to fulfill their positions as early in the recruiting process as possible," he said. "The student who approaches an employer for the first time in April may hit that employer at a time after they have done a lot of recruiting and filled all of their positions."

He said students should not be discouraged if they have not yet started searching for a summer job or internship.

"A publishing firm often needs people on [only] two or three weeks notice," Sturman said. "If a student approaches them in April, that may be more than adequate time for an opening in June."

Although some students are concerned about obtaining interviews for jobs when they are off campus, Jon Hummel '99 -- who is spending his winter term at investment banking firm Solomon Smith Barney -- said this is not an issue.

First, he said a student should be aware of when his leave terms are so that he can plan ahead.

"If you're smart, when you apply for a job in the fall, write on your cover letter when you will be available for an interview," Hummel said.

Hummel said that Career Services was very helpful in dealing with his winter leave-term.

Although many internships are unpaid, Sturman says students should not be discouraged.

"Many of the best opportunities for internships are often unpaid," he said. "We provide funding for students [seeking unpaid internships] interested in advertising, public relations or publishing, public policy, and education media."

Sturman said although jobs are important, he warns students about spending their Dartmouth careers searching only for career opportunities.

"Take full advantage of the unique opportunity at Dartmouth to have a wonderful learning experience," he said. "It's a real gift."