Spring '98 provides musical direction for a capella group

J. Carrie Spring '98, this year's musical director of the coeducational a capella group, the Dodecaphonics, has been destined for the spotlight since the tender age of seven.

"I sang in a church choir in Japantown, (a predominately Japanese section of San Francisco;) I was the only Caucasian in the group. All I have left is a videotape from Korean TV where we sang 'It's a Small World' in Japanese and the camera focused upon me the entire time," she related.

Although Spring joined the Dodecs at the beginning of her junior year, she was still elected as director while away on the Spanish Foreign Study Program in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Her response?

"I'm hugely flattered since I wasn't here to represent myself," she said.

There are a number of a capella groups on campus, but the coed aspect is part of the reason Spring decided to try out for the Dodecs.

For Spring, coed creates a world of difference in the atmosphere of the group.

"There is necessarily a special kind of interpersonal connection in a coed group, and so much of the a cappella genre in particular depends on the interpersonal relationships of the group," she said.

Part of Spring's vast singing experience was in a professional girls' singing group during middle school and high school, which, according to Spring, sang with the San Francisco Opera and won a Grammy with the San Francisco Symphony for a recording of the "Carmina Burana."

Numerous plans are in the works for the Dodecs this year, ranging from recording a new album to "some sort of a Caribbean tour during spring break."

According to Spring, the Dodec's work ethic itself has changed to reflect the needs of the group.

"The beginning of the term has been sort of revolutionary. Everyone seems really inspired to work hard and be involved," Spring said.

Jennifer Nycz '00, a fellow Dodec, said Spring has done a really good job thus far.

According to Nycz, "The group has really come a long way since last year, in large part due to Spring's (endeavors.)"

As director, Nycz said Spring is "a pal and director. She really understands that we have to like each other in order to function."

"She's concerned about what's going on with us and knows it's not just about cranking out music. We're all friends and that's what makes the group special," she said.

In terms of her own feelings for the group, Spring commented, "Even compared to last year I am so much more emotionally attached to the group. I depend on them."

The Dodecs have had a significant impact on Spring's life. For Spring it is an outlet.

"I wasn't doing anything creative and I'm a huge believer in synergy -- the whole thing is so much larger than the sum of the parts -- which is so exciting in the Dodecs."

Spring has always been the type to take on a challenge, from changing her major her senior fall to challenging any established system.

Spring decided this fall to switch her film major to history, even with the additional stress of finishing her major in her three remaining terms.

She reasoned, "I have nothing against the film department, but the department wasn't suited for me and what I was interested in."

"I want to be a film major, but I'm more interested in educational films and writing. History interests me," she said.

Spring's decision to come to Dartmouth also originated with the desire to go against the norm.

"I didn't figure I would fit in here and I wanted to challenge the system from the inside," she said.

Although Spring came to Dartmouth with low expectations, she said her entire experience with Dartmouth has been extremely rewarding.

"I wouldn't trade the Dartmouth experience for anything. I feel like I ended up here by chance and I'm so glad. There are parallel universes, but I can't imagine I would have a better time or educational experience anywhere else," the senior related. At other times, Spring has unknowingly challenged the establishment.

During her FSP in Argentina this past spring, the security guard at the door to Spring's apartment building became one of her best friends, even though her Argentine family "found it was pretty gauche of me to be talking to him -- they see it as sort of a class thing," she said.

Spring said she "would stumble in late at night and he would at first pester me and provoke me. I realized he didn't talk to people who lived there much. He came from the boondocks of Argentina and had a fifth grade education," Spring said.

Eventually, their friendship evolved from those late night meetings.

"I learned so much more from him about Argentina than from the people I normally associated with in my live-in family."

She hopes to return to Argentina after graduation to work at an English news service.