Many Believe Appointing Wright as Provost is in Dartmouth's Best Interest

I simply cannot let Aaron Klein's Oct. 9 editorial ["Faculty Politics Adulterate Appointment Process"] pass without commenting because it is so outrageous to accuse Jim Wright of cheating to become Provost. I was Dean Wright's administrative assistant for the entire eight years that he was Dean of the Faculty, and he was an excellent Dean who always, and I mean ALWAYS, had the interests of the students and faculty at the forefront of everything that he did.

The faculty who complained about the process had every right to do that, but they were a very, very small group. It was no great task to get 60% of the faculty to sign a petition, because an overwhelming number of the faculty sincerely believe that appointing Jim Wright provost is truly in Dartmouth's best interests. You will have to go a long way to find anyone more dedicated to the College who knows and cares about it the way that he does. And if you know Jim Wright at all, you would know that he wouldn't even look at the list of faculty who signed the petition; he's just that kind of person. Shame on you for maligning one of Dartmouth's best.