Field hockey leaves Brown feeling blue

The Big Green field hockey team scored a decisive 3-1 victory over 20th-ranked Brown over the weekend, dominating play for the majority of the game. The home field win boosted 19th-ranked Dartmouth's record to 5-2 overall (2-1 Ivy). Though Brown came into the came with a better Ivy record (2-0) and the memory of last year's victory over the Big Green, the ladies of Dartmouth came on strong from the beginning.

This was key for a team that has struggled in the early part of many of their games this season. "We've had several slow starts in the beginning of our season and it was great to come out and get early goals to take control of the game," said Lauren Scopaz '00, who would add the Big Green's third goal in the second half of the game.

The Big Green kept the Bears scoreless for the first half of the game, while Kristen Scopaz '00 and Kristen Leadbeater '00 each contributed goals for the offense. Those two goals not only gave Dartmouth the halftime lead but a margin for error in the second half. They would not need this margin in the second half, though.

Scopaz's goal extended the lead to 3-0 before Brown rallied to end the shutout by scoring late in the second half.Weze Shorts '99 and Amy Yost '00 each added assists on the afternoon.

Rookie goalie Brittany D'Augustine '01 made four saves, but was denied the shutout by the late Brown goal. D'Augustine had been named Ivy League rookie of the week last week for her play in goal and continued her strong freshman campaign by recording four saves in this contest against Brown. However, following the goal, Dartmouth lost the coordination that had marked the team's performance thus far.

"We backed down for about 10 minutes," Shorts said.. However, the Big Green did not end their game with a whimper. They regrouped and gained control for the remainder of the game, ending any hope of a Brown comeback.

Saturday's win improved Dartmouth's Ivy League record to 2-1 and gave a much needed victory to a team which suffered a 5-0 loss to the 18th- ranked UConn Huskies on Wednesday. Coming into the game, the Big Green had lost two out of their last three games. "The team needed this victory to keep up our confidence," Lauren Scopaz said. "We got a big win and kept ourselves with a winning record in Ivy League play."

The Big Green will attempt to continue their momentum in Wednesday's 3:30 home game at Chase Field against state rival, 8th ranked New Hampshire.