British Lord is quintessential Englishman

This term's Montgomery Fellow, Lord Roy Jenkins of Hillhead, has distinguished himself in various fields, from politics to academia, and is the embodiment of the quintessential Englishman.

Jenkins's appearance is captivating. Respectfully dignified in an olive green tweed suit complete with a paisley handkerchief in the lapel, his brow is furrowed and his gray hair is neatly combed. Jenkins speaks with a proper English accent.

Not surprisingly, his physical features belie Jenkins's noteworthy life.

He has a long history as a member of the British Parliament. Fresh out of the army, he was first elected to the House of Commons as a member of the Labor party in 1948 at the tender age of 28. He served in the House of Commons until 1976, serving once as Chancellor of the Exchequer and twice served as Home Secretary.

Presently, Jenkins heads the Social and Liberal Democrats -- a party he helped form in 1981 -- in the House of Lords. He was first elected to the leadership position in 1987.

Jenkins, also currently the chancellor of Oxford University, has long been an advocate for a unified Europe, and served as the United Kingdom's representative to the Consultative Assembly of the Western European Union from 1955-1957. In 1972 he received the Charlemagne and the Robert Schuman Prizes for promoting European unity.

Jenkins served as president of the Britain in Europe referendum campaign organization in 1975, and he served as president of the European Commission of the European Communities from 1977-1981.

In 1982, Jenkins returned to the House of Commons as a representative of Glasgow, and as the leader of the Social and Liberal Democrats.

While a member of the Labor party, Jenkins was named as a possible candidate for Prime Minister, but he stated that the Prime Ministership "is not leaving the Social Democrats for Labor. Changing parties once is OK, but twice is too much."

Jenkins was also first selected as Chancellor of Oxford, a life term position, in 1987. He estimated that this job consumes about 25 percent of his time.

In addition, he is a prolific and award-winning writer. He has published 18 books -- including biographies of U.S. President Harry S. Truman and British Prime Ministers Henry Asquith, Clement Attlee, and Stanley Baldwin.

His most recent book, "Gladstone," is a narration of the 19th century British politician, which won the 1995 Whitbread Prize for Biography.

Jenkins has also written an autobiography, "A Life at the Center," and frequently contributes to British periodicals. In addition to his many other hats, Jenkins also is the President of the Royal Society of Literature.

Jenkins, a Montgomery Fellow in residence until Monday, will be attending a class on European politics and meeting with members of the faculty and students associated with the Dickey Center for International Understanding, World Affairs Council, and Dartmouth's London Foreign Study Program.