Tennis unleashes hounds on Terriers

The young women's tennis team had their coming out party Sunday afternoon at Boston University's expense as the Big Green handed the Terriers their first loss of the season, 7-2. Dartmouth, who does not have a senior on the squad, won four out of six singles matches and shutout BU in the doubles competition, 3-0. BU was ranked in the top six in the East region.

Sarah Anderson '99 and Michelle Bray '00 got key singles wins in three sets to help give the Big Green the edge in singles. Anderson finished off strongly after giving up the first set, winning in the No. 6 slot by a score of 3-6, 6-0, 6-2. The team's top singles player Rebecca Dirksen '00 and freshman Courtney Smalley '01 both brought home victories in straight sets.

In terms of teamwork, nothing was more important to the win than the play of the doubles teams. Using different combinations of underclassmen, the doubles swept the Terriers and gave Dartmouth the victory going away.

"I think that the doubles wins were key because BU still had a chance to pull out the match," Jeana Chung '99 said.

"With such a young team, it is always hard to anticipate the kind of performance each will give and I think that this gives all of us a sense of confidence about each other and the team as a whole, " Jennifer Lange '00 said.

"We know we can play with any team in the region," Anderson said.