Topside manager's trial postponed

The conspiracy and embezzlement trial of former Topside convenience store manager Bob Jette is now scheduled for Sept. 8. Jette, who is accused of embezzling $30,000 from the store, filed a motion to postpone his original Aug. 4 trial date.

Jette, who was fired by Dartmouth Dining Services early this year, allegedly conspired with Frederick Baker of Baker Video, the company Topside formerly used as its video supplier.

Jette was arraigned on March 17. Grafton County Attorney Ken Anderson said the defendant filed a motion to continue because he wanted more time to prepare for the trial.

Anderson said he could not yet comment on the specifics of the case but expected to be the prosecutor against Jette, depending on the scheduling of the attorney's office.

He added that Jette and the state have been negotiating a plea bargain.

Jette hired Charles Buttrey to represent him at the trial. Both Buttrey and Jette declined to comment.

Jette and Baker have been charged with criminal liability for the conduct of another -- which is accomplice to theft -- and conspiracy to commit theft by unathothorized taking, said BobMuh, Grafton County Superior Court Clerk

The maximum possible sentence for each charge is imprisonment for seven-and-a-half to 15 years.

"The matter's in litigation," College Counsel Sean Gorman said of Jette's case. He declined to comment further.

Hanover Police Detective Sergeant Frank Moran previously told The Dartmouth Jette exaggerated the number of videos purchased or rented and the number of late fees to Dartmouth's office of Accounts Payable.

The Accounts Payable office would then send Baker Video larger checks, Moran said, and Baker probably split the money with Jette.

Moran told The Dartmouth in February the sum embezzled from DDS is probably greater than $30,000, but the police thought only that sum could be easily proved.