Panhell holds 'Synergy' panel

In response to attacks last term against the Greek system, the presidents of all seven Panhellenic sororities spoke in Collis Common Ground last night to address the importance of showing unity and purpose as women at Dartmouth.

About 160 women attended the event -- given the name "Synergy" -- which was coordinated by the Panhellenic Council, the self-governing body of the College's sororities.

The impetus for the assembly was the anonymous posting of flyers around campus at the end of Spring term. The flyers criticized sorority practices, calling them degrading to women.

Panhell President Elissa Blankstein '99 began last night's meeting with a brief introductory speech in which she emphasized the need to show "strength, cohesiveness and solidarity" within the sorority system.

Blankstein then introduced the seven sorority presidents, who then each briefly addressed the audience. The presidents were constrained by a two minute speaking time-limit.

Each president stressed the importance of unity between both affiliated and unaffiliated women.

Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority President Lauren Brenner '99 said, "One of the most deconstructive acts in which a woman can take part is to pass judgment or make morality calls on other women."

Brenner said diversity and individuality within the Greek system makes it a stronger resource for women on campus.

Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority President Katie Robb '99 said, "We will not allow traditional roles to define or prescribe our actions."

The last speaker of the evening, Delta Gamma sorority President Gemma Ros '99 said the meeting was the beginning of a commitment to more than just a house and friends.

"Think of this as a call to action," she said.

Ros said women have a responsibility to address all issues concerning them as a group and to stand united behind every woman.

The audience was favorable to the speeches and reactions appeared positive.

Melanie Soares '99, a member of Theta, said she thought the meeting should have happened much sooner.

"I think this was too long in coming," she said. "It's about time we come together and put aside our rivalries between houses. Hopefully it will spread to the rest of the women on campus."

DG member Rebecca Josephson '99 said she thought the meeting was a good start but was only the beginning and would not necessarily lead to bonding between houses.

"It's kind of ironic how ... all the separate houses [sat] together instead of amongst others," she said.

Delta Pi Omega sorority President Jil Carey '99 said the Greek system has a lot of good individual programs but needs more quality large-scale programs.