Women's lax rocks UVM, 19-4

The Big Green used shots from 10 different players as the women's lacrosse team humbled the UVM Catamounts, 19-4, at Chase Field yesterday afternoon. Now ranked ninth in the nation, Dartmouth currently stands at 10-3 overall.

"Vermont's not really on the same level as we are," Head Coach Amy Patton said after the game. "But I was really glad to see that we didn't play down to the Catamounts. We just went out and played our own game right from the start."

The Big Green set the pace 30 seconds into the opening half as tri-Captain Kelly Hannigan ran down the right flank after the draw and centered a pass to Emily Fenwick '00. Fenwick poked the ball to Weze Shorts '99, who tucked it home for the easy two-meter shot.

From there, Dartmouth took a 3-0 lead compliments of a goal by tri-Captain Heather Mendelson and one by Fenwick.

For Mendelson, it was her first of two netters for the day, while Fenwick was just getting warmed up as she led the Big Green with five goals.

The Catamounts tried to rally as they sank two goals to bring the score to 4-2, but that was as close at they would come. The Big Green crushed all hope of a close match as they busted out to a 9-2 lead with a minute-and-a-half left in the opening half.

The Cats scored their last two goals of the day in the final minute of the first half to send both teams to benches with 9-4 on the halftime scoreboard.

In the second stanza, Dartmouth continued to pummel the UVM goalie as Patton decided to rotate the bench to give everyone a shot at denting the net.

By the final buzzer, 10 more second-half shots found their mark and overall, Dartmouth's 19 goals were launched from 10 different Big Green sticks.

While Fenwick carried the hotstick with five goals on the afternoon, Morrill earned a hat-trick and Mendelson, Libby Huffman '00 and Sarah Drake '97 each added two apiece.

Rounding out the scoring, Shorts, Hannigan, Kate Graw '00, Kristin Lucas '99 and Lindsay Eichelberger '99 each split the posts once.Hannigan also led the Big Green with four assists.

"It was really great to jump ahead early on and be able to let everyone play," tri-Captain Andrea Krumholz said. "That's what made today's game so much fun."

The Big Green will play their final regular season match against top-ranked Maryland at home on Saturday.