Walt and Ernie's barber celebrates 40 years in Hanover

Bob Trottier, who today celebrates his 40th anniversary working in Hanover, has a unique perspective on the College -- the view from behind the barber's chair in Walt and Ernie's Barber Shop.

Trottier first came to work in Hanover on May 1, 1957, the day he celebrated his 31st birthday.

Although the popular barber shop -- founded in 1938 -- bears the names of its founders, Walt and Ernie, it has been Trottier that has been the familiar face in the shop for four decades of Dartmouth students.

Trottier has seen the College go through many changes, including coeducation, the growth of the student body and the introduction of year-round operation.

"We've gone through all kinds of different styles," Trottier said. "During the '70s ... the long hair trend was not the best time for barbers."

Despite the ever-changing student body that provides his clientele, Trottier said Hanover is a good place to work.

"A college town, and especially Dartmouth, is probably the best break I ever had," Trottier said.

Though he considered leaving the business in the '70s, he said "I stayed because I just like my customers. Student clientele is probably the best you can get."

College students are steady customers for four years, Trottier said, and many students who do graduate work stay as long as six years.

Trudy Clough, who opened Big Green Cuts in 1994 after four years at Walt and Ernie's, said she first went to work with Bob when he offered her a job.

Clough had been staying at home after doctors told her she could not work in chemical areas because of severe allergies when "Bob called me up and asked me if I wanted to come up for an interview."

Clough said she did not have a lot of experience when she first started cutting hair.

"There aren't any schools in Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine for barbering," Clough said. But, she said she got a good background by watching the barbers there. "I learned a lot from Walt and Ernie's."

"Bob was a great teacher, he was a great friend and he was a great boss," Clough said. "I miss him a lot."

Trottier said he still remembers the names of people who he cut hair for 40 years ago, though he is not in touch with the student body to the extent he once was.

Trottier said one reason is the fact that he only works part time now, in the mornings, while most students get their hair cut in the afternoons.

He joked that a lot of student customers now ask who Bob is. "I'm a stranger in my own shop. I'm on my way out," he said.

Although he has no immediate plans for retiring, Trottier said he would like to spend more time around the house and perhaps visit Florida occasionally.

Trottier said he plays mostly golf now, but he also played football and baseball as a child. And since he has been in Hanover, he has been an avid fan of College sports.

"I followed Dartmouth sports for a long time. I always used to go to the home football games," he said. Trottier does not make it to quite as many games any more, but said he often catches the radio broadcasts of the Big Green's athletic competitions.

Trottier said he is not as familiar with all of the players for Dartmouth's teams as he was when he first started cutting hair. "The town was closer knit back then," he said.

Despite all the changes he has seen in his 40 years behind the barber's chair in Walt and Ernie's, Trottier said the same thing has kept him showing up every morning to cut hair in Hanover.

"I never dreaded going to work," Trottier said.