'Star Wars' spawns yet another mediocre episode

How long will it be before the bottomless well of "Star Wars" knock-offs will run out?

Three films (that were made twice), two television shows and about twenty books thus far have emerged from a long time ago and a galaxy far, far away. George Lucas' immeasurable universe of lightsabers, the Force and colorful characters has had another chapter added to it in the form of "Planet of Twilight," a new "Star Wars" book by Barbara Hambly.

The story is gripping and many of the insights fit the model set by Lucas' films. However, as has become the trend in the last few years, this new chapter disappoints.

The plot concerns the kidnapping of Princess Leia Organa Solo (who married Han Solo in an earlier book), now the Chief of State of the New Republic (which she became in another book).

As Han, Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian try to find her, Luke Skywalker journies to a strange planet, looking for his vanished girlfriend Callista.

Callista, a Jedi Knight who has lost her ability to use the Force, was introduced in Hambley's first contribution to the Star Wars universe, "Children of the Jedi."

While Leia is prisoner to her kidnapper and Luke lives and works among the colonists of the strange world of Nam Chorios, a mysteriousand murderous plague spreads among the New Republic's fleet and military bases...

If you have not been following the explosive spread of the "Star Wars" storyline outside of the recently-rereleased film trilogy and are confused by all of this, don't worry. So many new characters and locales have been introduced that you need not feel ashamed by your confusion.

Therein lies the problem of the recent expansion of characters and plot. Princess Leia as wife, mother and elected ruler of the galaxy is a far cry from the fragile hologram pleading "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" in the original "Star Wars."

Don't get me wrong. Many of the volumes in Bantam Spectra's "Star Wars" series are enjoyable. Some of the novels could even be considered spectacular, particularly Timothy Zahn's trilogy that began the whole series.

"Planet of Twilight" itself is a decent book. But like most, if not all, of the books, it is just not up to par with the original films.

While the villains of the story are evil in their own way, they do not have the intensity of Darth Vader or the Emperor, or the loathsome visual nausea that accompanies Jabba the Hutt.

The story contains many exciting scenes and exotic planetary locales, as well as some suspenseful moments that could be found in any good Stephen King or Dean Koontz novel.

One major flaw is the subplot concerning the lovable robotic duo, R2-D2 and C-3PO. They maintain their comic statures, but their adventure in this new book borders on the inane.

Hambley's vivid writing, allusions to familiar images from the films and grasp of the characters aids the story, but only as far as print allows.

It seems that the magic of "Star Wars" is best experienced in cinematic form. The brilliant flash of lasers, the clash of lightsabers, the mechanical breathing of Darth Vader and the genius of John Williams' immortal musical score are startlingly absent.

Zahn's three Star Wars books, published initially in 1991, created a phenomenon because of the innovative idea of adding new chapters to the lives of Luke, Leia, Han and the others.

Since then, dozens of authors have contributed their own material to the stories, and it has become acceptable to take almost any sci-fi story, slap Luke or Leia or anyone from the movies in it, add a few references to the Force and label it "Star Wars."

Any reader who grew up watching Mark Hamill's Luke Skywalker as he wailed in despair while James Earl Jones's Darth Vader taunted him with the secrets of his past will finish many of the new books, including Hambly's latest, with a bad taste in their literary mouths.

It boils down to wearing a very accurate, dazzling cubic zirconium necklace. It's very pretty, and it looks like a diamond, but it really isn't.