DarCORPS: A Service to Dartmouth

At a school where the student population is so academically driven and people always seem to be overextended, it is truly reassuring that there has been such an overwhelming response to DarCORPS -- the Dartmouth Community OutReach ProjectS.

DarCORPS is the largest community service effort organized at Dartmouth in recent memory. More than 600 students, faculty, staff and administrators will be dispatched to Upper Valley non-profit organizations, where they will give several hours of their time to work with children and elderly people, do gardening and yard work, painting and washing or various other activities.

The organizers of DarCORPS and the Tucker Foundation should be commended for formulating the idea of a massive day of community service, which hopefully will become an annual event. Furthermore, all of the volunteers should be praised for their participation in what promises to be an excellent day.

Tomorrow's events will reaffirm that members of the Dartmouth community do not just take from Hanover and the Upper Valley -- but that they are happy to give something back.